Constantly worried about regaining. I ,m at the two mark since GBP surgery. What to...

Doris Cervenka
on 9/10/13 9:11 am, edited 9/10/13 9:25 am - Ganado, TX

I am at the two year mark since my surgery.  I lost  190 pounds.  I had the surgery to save my life.  Because, I felt like was the point of dying at 395 pounds. I down to 205 pounds. For the last 8 months. I stayed 205 and 215 pounds.  I so disappointed  that have never gotten under 200 pounds.  Since been fat all my life. Just being 205 is amazing to me.  But, still hoped for more weight lose. How I at the point every day the have worry about not regaining. Losing seem pointless.  But, I don,t feel like it is going to happen.  Is to soon to think revision?.  I wondering if should have gotten the D.S and can go Gastric - By- Pass  to D.S.  

All of sudden Dieting has become the major part of my life again.  My appetite has come back full force.  Do I start living on protein shakes again.  I so want to get my skin removed from my stomach but, I don,t  feel that lost enough weight to justify it.   I still by some miracle that weight will fall off.

Doris Cervenka

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/10/13 2:03 pm
You have lost a huge amount. Congratulations. I too am two years out. I think the biggest key in not regaining is not becoming complacent and not falling in to the quick fix diet mentality.
What is a day of eating like for you? Are you able to exercise?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

mickeymantle
on 9/10/13 4:01 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need to get back on your plan , your better off staying aweay from shakes  and eating solid protein , you can still kepp losing it just takes more work 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Laura in Texas
on 9/11/13 7:47 pm

Do you track your food? The two year mark is where it gets real. We are absorbing all of our calories now. I use myfitnesspal when i am up a few pounds. Track your food on a normal day and then cut back 300-500 calories a day. I do not cut back too dramatically because I know if I feel deprived I go nuts and binge.

Please do not jump to a revision. It is dangerous and can cost you your life. not many surgeons can do a RNY-DS revision correctly. RNY can work. My RNY was 5 years ago. I have lost and kept off 200 pounds. Even DSers can have problems losing and keeping it off. There truly is no magic surgery.

It really is all in your hands. If you are eating because of emotional issues, find a therapist. Losing and keeping it off are hard work. Period. You have to believe you are worth the effort, and you are. You can do this.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

chrispy_man
on 9/11/13 11:54 pm - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Doris

You have the physical tools to do this. Maintain or even lose more weight. It's the mental tool kit you need to work on to develop habits which will help you manage your weight. Not sure about you but biggest struggles I have are emotional eating. In fact after I regained a lot and was fed up I had to face it down.

Know what I found out? I didn't even know what real hunger felt like. I practiced being hungry for like too weeks. I would hold off eating until I could feel the hunger. Btw not a great thing to do when trying to control portions. In my case hunger is in the stomach. Head hunger doesn't have that and I feel it differently. I separated the two and practiced not eating when it was head hunger. Drinking water, going for a walk etc. really helped.

That is one example. Two important things to do right now. Log your food so you can review it and make sure you are at least walking every single day, or if that is a problem doing an activity. At the very least you should be sticking to the maintenance plan your surgeon provided. Love to help and discuss more on this forum if you are up for it.

Chrispy

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

acbbrown
on 9/12/13 1:54 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Im at the same point. Id love to lose more weight - get the regain off. But I dont know if that will ever happen. I have to struggle every day and every week to not gain serious amounts of weight. 

But, honestly, weve done it this far. Ive maintained my weight within a couple lbs over the last year (with a 15 lb range that i yo yo between though)....I have an absolute redline when my clothes get too tight. I refuse to buy a bigger wardrobe. 

Spend some time really really thinking about a plan that can work for you.  Not all plans are right for you. I did paleo for a couple months to stabilize my weight and stop going up and down and I enjoyed it immensely. I was able to eat as much as I wanted and I was able to lose a little but more importantly maintain. Eating clean and staying away from a few groups was key for me  because I binge big time on sugar...cut it out completely and I seem to be ok. It's the hardest thing I face, but once in a while that desperation kicks in and it saves me from rocketing up. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

theshrinkingmimi
on 9/14/13 9:32 am

I guess that I am in a similar boat. But I'm not willing to consider more WLS. I also do not want to have skin surgery on my thighs and stomach because I want to lose more weight. 

Perhaps it is time for more therapy. I think that if I had not moved to another state, I would have gone back to my old therapist by now. I dread starting over with a new therapist. My last one was great so I try to remember what I learned.

Here is what I know for sure. We may wish to lose more, but wishing is not enough. In the meantime, we can still be pleased and even proud of what we have done.

Anxiety, panic, and stress are counter-productive. I have to figure out my action steps...which may include finding a new therapist. A lot of the suggestions on this thread are very good.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Lucky2talk2
on 9/15/13 3:27 pm - Renton, WA
Doris,
The replies here are all so true! The tool that you have will continue to work with you. You have to use it and honestly. It will take some sort of exercise or movement that is more than what you are doing daily right now. You will most likely have to log your food and this is where the honestly part comes to play. It is your journey and will only work for you if you are honest with yourself completely. Have you found activities that you love to do that are physical?
Going for a revision seems like a brash and harsh decision when you have a great tool to work with already! You of course have to make the decisions. But make 100% great faith effort in using your skills. Maybe look at your physical and mental status with regards to where you are at and where you want to be. EASY is not going to be the long term from the date we first had surgery. But it was meant to get you started and aid in the beginning to get good practices and healthier ways started!

I truly believe that if you started this with RNY and you had success you need to reach back in and dig in deeper to keep going! Pull out all your patience, all your strength, and complete honesty!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

There is no magic year mark that ends the end of weight loss in our lives! We have a life time to get to where we want to be. Work hard to not regress and even harder is the fight to move forward with more!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Tell yourself "I CAN DO THIS!!" ~ NOW FIGHT FOR IT!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Hugs!

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

skylark2011
on 9/17/13 7:31 am

LOOOOVE THIS!!  We have a life time to get to where we want to be. 

YES!!!  Doris, everybody has great advice.  We have to keep moving, figuratively and literally.  Anxiety and stress are our enemies.  Be kind to  yourself, forgive yourself for your past mistakes.  Get out and take a walk, get some fresh air, and take it one mouthful at a time.  Each one is a victory.  Every single one.

High protein & low carb works for me, keeps me from getting hungry so fast, and keeps my emotions and energy on even keel.  I had low carb wraps the other day, but found that even with them my hunger  was more intense....keep working your tool.  It has not failed you, and you HAVE NOT failed it!!

HW: 351 SW: 344.5   5'10"  

Most Active