Le Sigh... SMO and office chairs

ParisGirl
on 10/24/12 5:23 am
VSG on 04/25/13

Everywhere I've worked I've ruined chairs.  You know how office chairs are supposed to go up and go down?  Mine just seem to go down.

At my last company I got the OK to order a 'specialty' chair.  You know, the kind that will hold at least 500 lbs.  They ain't cheap!  Well, I ended up breaking a caster on it.  I was so embarrassed that - for 1 whole year - I just lived with it.  Me, scootin' around my office, trying not to fall over.  Let's facing, getting up off the ground at over 300 lbs is no easy feat.

I've been in a new job for 2 months now.  The chair I have is too small and again, my chair only goes down.  I'm practically sitting on the floor. 

Today I bit the bullet and asked for a new chair.  My manager was cool and approved the pricey seating.  But when the chair comes in it's going to be painfully obvious that it's much, much larger than all of the others in the office (our office is a big open floor plan). 

The only thing that is getting me through this right now is that come next year at this time I will be swimming in that chair.  

dori M.
on 10/24/12 9:16 am - MD
 Yeah that sucks and I think we've all been there before. This time next year when you're swimming in it you can pass it on someone else in the office who made need it 

acbbrown
on 10/24/12 9:35 am - Granada Hills, CA
I remember those days alll to well.

Just hang in there - you are doing great - your surgery will be here in no time and yes, you will be swimming in your chair next year :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Phatchick
on 10/24/12 9:31 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
 How many times, I was so scared to sit down for fear of breaking a chair? Or afraid i wouldnt fit in a booth? Your time's a-comin! God Bless you. Sharon

theshrinkingmimi
on 10/26/12 10:59 am

especially lawn chairs.  The terror!

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
talula216
on 10/24/12 11:19 pm - RI
RNY on 01/16/12
I currently have one of the larger office chairs.  But I can tell you there is a lot of room in it now.  We also have those chairs with the metal arms in the confrence rooms.  Which I would dread because my sides would hurt from them.  Now I fit in them.  There will come a time when you are no longer afraid to sit in chairs or be brought to a booth at a restaurant. 

You wll get there.

Talula
Starting weight 369

jcush
on 10/25/12 4:07 am - CA
You are not the only one out there that is embarrassed about the chairs. For sure we have all been there or had something similar. You for sure will not have this problem once you get surgery. I broke a chair back when I worked in a company that was all men and I was the only female there. Talk about embarrassing when you break a chair. I was way too embarrassed to ask for a different chair. Once everyone was out of the office, I switched my chair with another one that was barely used. That was awful. I never even fit into booths at resteraunts or barely even drive my car. Since surgery I have lost 153 pounds and I fit into all booths (so far) and I don't have to put my seat all the way back.

You will truly feel so much better just from the weight being gone and you will feel less stress about limitations. Just know that surgery is coming and you will begin a change for the better.

Take care and best wishes,

Jen
J Cush
reneemosley
on 10/25/12 10:09 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

I can say I understand. I know all of us have one of these (or several) instances that make us want to forget and hide.

Heres an idea. Tuck this away and use it as a tool in your arsenal for some of the rugged road ahead. There will be days when you wonder what the F&($ you did, and here is example 1, it will keep you motivated and help.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

Most Active