Anyone do well starting at 400lbs

elmo7241999
on 9/22/12 7:09 am
I'm just starting my journey of jumping through hoops for my insurance company.  I'm nearly 400lbs and just wondering what to expect.  Everyone seems to have done wonderful with the surgery, but I need some opinions from the bigger girls.
Thanks! Anne

Phatchick
on 9/22/12 10:06 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
 Hi Anne,

Welcome to this awesome forum.

There are people here who have lost 400 lbs. So you can do this.And you will be great! .

This is a journey that you make for yourself. I hate the term "life change" because it sounds impossible to do after gaining so much weight, but it actually is just that. 

The jumping thru loops is the first step after making the decision. That is the first part of your journey. It is an exciting part that can be crazy, and difficult. But in the end it pays off. I learned a lot about myself during that time. I learned not to be afraid of doctors and going thru all the tests and procedures. I learned how to put on my big girl panties, bite the bullet and do what I had to do to get to the surgery part of the journey. By the time the surgery was scheduled I was so ready to be carted into that surgical suite. NO FEAR. 

I have journaled all of my steps into my OH profile and it is fun to go back and see what I have done in such a short time. I highly recommend you do the same. You can keep it personal if you choose. I also have taken lots of pics, measured myself and of course weighed myself. 

We'd love to know more about you, if you'd care to share.

Best,

Sharon

Nathalie_Can
on 9/22/12 10:40 am
Click on my blog link under my ticker...if that doesn't convince you...lol...I don't know what will
all the best in your journey!

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

sleevegirl
on 9/22/12 12:01 pm - Austin, TX
I started at 375. Just remember... it's not a race, it's a journey. It was a little disheartening for me at six months when others were reaching goal and I was just half way there, but at 185 lost as of now... yeah, doable. We just have to work that much harder for that much longer IMHO.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

acbbrown
on 9/22/12 1:02 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I started at 420...nearing a normal BMI now. It takes a lot of patience, determination and an attitude that you're in this for life. If the word diet even crosses your mind - gotta change that! You have to know that it's possible to meet your goals as long as you can push through a lot of tough times. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

elmo7241999
on 9/23/12 7:27 am
Thank you all for your replies and encouragement.  It's nice to know it is doable and I'm not the only one.
Karine
on 9/23/12 11:56 am - Canada
VSG on 06/25/12
I wasn't above 400, I started at 360, and already down 75 pounds in 3 months!

And if you WANT it, you can do it!

Gastroscopy: May 26th 2012                   SW + HW 360
Labs: May 30th 2012                                Post opti   341.2
SD:  June 25th 2012                                Post op     338.6       

Doris Cervenka
on 9/23/12 9:41 pm - Ganado, TX
I start 390 pounds.   After a year and 5 mouths after Gastric- by- pass.   I,m down to 207 pounds.

I am totally loving my new life.  Being to just go for walk is wonderful.
Lucky2talk2
on 9/23/12 10:02 pm - Renton, WA
I started at 654 lbs. It is very doable but will be a longer process than the ones that start at lower weights. It will be what you make it with your surgery. Keep focussed and keep good supports around you. This forum and the OH is a GREAT GREAT GREAT help! There are a lot of times that support groups in your local area may be something to consider even before surgery. They generally have people at all stages and you can hear and see first hand.
The surgery alone will not do it for you, it will be a lot of hard work as you get further and further out from surgery. But the WLS will give you a great start to reteach good habits and get that jump start. My doctor gave me statistics of success and gave me not as much hope to even get as far as I have. If you keep determination and are not in denial of choices and the behaviors as you go you should do great! Keep learning, teaching, talking, listening, researching for the betterment of yourself.

You are in a great forum!

Welcome... Feel free to share, vent, encourage, or ask questions. We all share the common thing of weight control....

Hugs,
Sherrie

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

flyingwoman
on 9/24/12 7:19 am
Started at 415 down now to 224, and though it's veeeeeery slow, still losing here and there, in inches more than pounds.

You can do it! Good luck!
Most Active