Struggling a bit vent/advice?

EliseG
on 9/6/12 1:00 pm - MA
Hey Everyone
I've been debating about whether to post this for a couple days, and finally decided to post it here because, well, you guys are just awesome.
I've been struggling a bit lately, and finding myself hungry ALL the time. I think it all started with me trying to get more fiber into my diet. More fiber, unfortunately, equals more carbs. I had been keeping my carbs around 20g a day, but dealing with terrible constipation and taking max doses of senna, colace, etc, every single day. I also get a bare minimum of 16 glasses of water a day.
I thought if I could incorporate more fiber, I wouldn't be so dependent on the laxatives.
That has turned out to be true. For close to a week now I've gotten a lot more fiber than I was getting, and I've been able to reduce the softeners and laxatives. The fiber has come in the form of quest bars, veggies, and raspberries. Still trying to keep my carbs under 40 a day, although there have been a couple days I've gone over 40. I realize the carbs are probably making me more hungry, but, I have a lot more energy, and I'm actually pooping.
My original plan was to try this for a couple weeks and see how it effects my weight loss, etc. But my problem now is I am just so damn hungry! There's only been one day this week that I went over my 800 cals, but I feel like I could eat a vat of lard right now.
I needed to vent a bit definitely, I'm not sure if I'm going to try and go back to extremly low carb but with lots of poop meds, or try and keep the fiber. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, totally welcome!
Thanks

acbbrown
on 9/6/12 1:50 pm - Granada Hills, CA
It really just depends on what your priorities are I guess - fiber are carbs, but generally are not digested by the body, which is why some people do net carbs. I might recommend that approach since fiber is a necessity.  

I can't imagine that a difference of 20 vs 40 g of carbs would make you hungrier (especially since in theory fiber is supposed to make you feel fuller longer) so I dont know...Ive never done low carb so I can't say whether or not there is a difference. The only things carbs do to me is screw with me mentally.

Youre talking to the queen of the constipation clan so if it were me, id obviously take whatever approach works for that issue because it sucks. Ive found that 2500 cal, lots of carbs and fat usually solves my problem, but since that's not a sustainable calories goal right now, im just suffering haha.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Phatchick
on 9/6/12 1:55 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
 I think I am the Queen of Constipation, thank you very much  LOL Sharon

EliseG
on 9/6/12 6:26 pm - MA
Sorry that you're suffering from constipation. It's ******g terrible.
Before surgery I never had trouble with it, and I couldn't imagine it being so terrible. I think I'm going to continue trying this for a little while, it really does help with the constipation, as well as my mood. It's also possible that I'm hungry because TOM has been visiting for the last 2 freaking weeks!
Thanks for the advice, Allison

acbbrown
on 9/6/12 9:27 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Man...15 months now...of constipation...I"M OVER IT!!!!!!  Oh well, I should consider buying some shares of Ducolax stocks haha.....i'm single handedly keeping them in business!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Phatchick
on 9/6/12 2:01 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
 Hi Elise,

I was having the exact same prob as you. I had my gastro telling me cut the protein and eat more fiber/carbs. I had my surgeon saying dont eat more fiber eat more protein. In the end you have to do what works best for you. Constipation, and worse in my case, anal fissure from constipation made me decide that fiber is my friend and weight loss will have to be slower. I accept that. But with that being said, I became more hungry as well. I eat oatmeal with my eggs for breakfast now. If I only eat oatmeal I am so hungry I could eat my arm off an hour later. I never eat carbs without a protein. You have to experiment to see how your body reacts to the changes you incorporate. Also, I drink a ton of water, this helps in the old poop-shoot department as well. 

Good Luck,

Sharon

EliseG
on 9/6/12 6:28 pm - MA
Poop shoot department, LOL! Sorry you've had such a terrible time with constipation, ugh!
I'm pretty sure fiber is my friend. I just hate being so damn hungry! I'm going to try having my quest bar after some protein tonight, maybe it's a slider for me?
P.S. I love being able to poop!

Phatchick
on 9/7/12 4:42 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
 Poop and sleep ...Gods 2 best inventions...have a great day! Sharon

Pkrplyr777
on 9/6/12 7:24 pm - CT
I just took a really strong lax once or twice a week. (phillips milk of mag)  It worked for me.
Cuz not being able to poop...hurt
just sayin
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
EliseG
on 9/7/12 7:55 am - MA
Hey, Donna!
I wish taking a strong one a couple times a week would work. If I don't take something strong everyday, it gets very very painful!

Most Active