My surgery date is next week... Thursday October 22, 2015

got-2-b-me
on 10/16/15 5:48 pm

I got approved! What do I do guys! Now what? Any last minute need to knows? Somebody? Anybody?

BrookeB

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/18/15 5:50 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Hi Brooke,

I am not a member of this forum, I guess that I clicked on it by mistake. I don;t see any responses here, so I will respond. you may want to post on both General Discussion forum as well as this one.

Here's how I felt pre-op.

When my doctor told me that he wanted me to lose weight before surgery, I was pissed - I almost said, "Why bother, it will just come back on." It took a few seconds for my brain to say to itself, "No, that is why you are having weight loss surgery, so it won't come back." The promise of WLS helped me make better decisions during that time. Also, every pound you lose before surgery is gone and moves you closer to your goal.

I have since come to understand that the 2 weeks prior to surgery diet helps you have a better surgery and less soreness during recovery. I understand that the diet shrinks your liver, which the surgeon has to manoever around to do the surgery. Also, it gives you time to practice following dietary instructions.

Only 1 week to go! Congrats. Next week I will be 10 months post surgery (12/22/14). Best decision I made.

Sharon

got-2-b-me
on 10/18/15 4:48 pm

Thanks for replying Sharon. Will I be in a lot of pain after the surgery? Can you tell me if you had issues with hair loss? Thanks again for replying. I will have to find the discussion forums you spoke of.

BrookeB

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/19/15 4:55 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I had RNY-bypass.

Hair loss - some in the 3-7 months, but only I noticed. Nothing long term for me and I have thin, fine hair to start. I did not change my hair style, which is short and sassy (At least that's what I think). Keep up with vitamins - start taking them now if you don't already.

I never was admitted to a hospital before and I never had surgery, so I didn't know what to expect. A friend who is a nurse took me and stayed until I was out of surgery - she was a great comfort. My mother is 86, uses a cane/walker and is blind in one eye. I did not want her waiting for me.

Pain - The day of surgery and the day-after while I was in the hospital, i felt like I did 1000 push-ups and the hospital nurses administered the real pain meds. (That is because they stretch your muscles to get them out of the way to get to your organs to do the surgery. That pain goes away. The second day I only felt like I did 500 push-up. Work with the nurses and keep your pain managed. I only used the tylenol with codeine once or twice after I got after the hospital. I was sore, but very little intense pain after I got out of the hospital.

I will send you a link about what to expect post-op. My doctor said the risks, recovery, etc, was similar to having gall bladder surgery. But is still major surgery. After surgery, they will give you this tube to blow into. That is to help you get rid of any fluid that may have built up in your lungs during surgery. Even though it's a pain, blow into that silly thing - to avoid pnuemonia.

People have these long lists of things to bring - relax, don't worry the hosp has everything your need - all you want to do is to sleep. All I needed was lip stuff - your favorite chapstick - I had one of those egg-shaped things. I took an old pair of glasses in case I lost them - I wouldn't care. No nail polish, no contact lenses. Stretchy, lose, pants and top to go home in.

Sharon

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/19/15 7:04 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

This is not from my doctor, but looked reasonable. My doctor did a good jb, but does not have a website with this info.

http://www.laparoscopic.md/bariatric/surgery/quiz

Also, you breathe in through the tube, not blow out.

Sharon

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/19/15 8:14 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I also want to tell you that having WLS was a good decision for me. When I got the first shot of anesthesia in the pre-op room, and felt the relaxation kick in, I looked up at the clock - it was 7:42am. I thought - 742 is my new lucky number. Although I haven't won the lottery with 742, I am one fortunate person.

You can post on the General Discussion Forum, or on the forum for your type of surgery. You should get a bunch of replies.

Good luck on Thursday!!

Sharon

got-2-b-me
on 10/19/15 4:55 pm

Thanks a million Sharon. Take care.

BrookeB

tni524
on 10/23/15 8:59 am

When is your surgery date?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?