Is it safe?

lisazvocalz
on 9/22/11 2:47 am, edited 9/22/11 2:47 am - Denver, CO

When you make the decision to have the surgery you are making a commitment to change your life right , but things don't always go as planned. I have lost 147 pounds from the time that I was at my highest of 356 till now and still have like at least 40 more to go  in order  to reach my personal goal. I was just thinking about using something like slimfast or some sort of supplement to help me get there faster. Has anyone known of someone who has used anything like that safely after surgery?

~BEAUTY REFLECTS THE IMAGE THAT LIES WITHIN~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lisa H.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kinda ironic
Birthday:     01/07/80
Rebirthday:11/17/08 

LEE
on 9/22/11 6:31 am, edited 9/22/11 10:20 am
Hey Lisa
I did the Extreme Fat Smash and I lost twenty pounds in three months.

I just started it again yesterday, go to the library and get the book, in the first three weeks you lose 12 pounds, well I lost 11.

It works great for me and I am the hardest person to lose weight.
Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
MSW will not settle
on 9/24/11 2:51 pm
First I will admit to my predjudice against the multi billion dollar weight loss snake oil industry.  That stuff was worthless before surgery and I still believe it is worthless now.  But that is my not so humble opinion.  

You've got to think of nutritional value when deciding to consume diet products.  If I were going to rely on shakes for nutrition, I would forget the diet stuff and stick with the high quality protein we need.  Four egg white protein shakes will give you 96g of protein for 424 calories and 0g carbs.  I doubt slim fast can give you that level of nutrition. 

I am not saying slim fast cannot be done safely if you adjust for your post op nutrition needs.  However, I remember the early ads about drinking their shakes twice a day and eating one meal.  When you look at what the shake consists of you can have small more nutritious meals for the same calories.  Well trimmed meats with the fat not eaten and two green veg on the side can be had for about 300 calories. 

Many people including me still need to diet.  Bottom line is we are on a diet for life even if we choose to say lifestyle change or some other euphemism.  What is important is getting the protein you need on a consistent basis.  A short lapse won't likely harm you but the protein first rule is what we need to live by for our long term health.  

I don't know anyone *****lied on consuming diet poducts but I know many who use different diet plans adjusted for their post op needs.  Personally, I do atkins.  Induction level carbs is the only thing that seems to work for me.  Even then I loose very slowly (but I lost slowly as a newbie to).  Others have gotten perscription diet pills to reduce their appetites.  Still others selected various diets that worked best with their preferences and metabolisms.  You can do something like extreme fat smash and use protein as your two 100 calorie snacks to ensure you have enough for the day. 

You can probably make nearly any plan safe if you get sufficient protein and control the sugar and fat content, slimfast included.  There are many approaches you can take to dieting once you have tired of your post op plan or it no longer works for you.  Diet shakes in my opinion may not be the best approach. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

lisazvocalz
on 9/27/11 3:56 am - Denver, CO
I probably will go ahead and avoid anythine like slimfast or any of that other stuff that I used to try before WLS, just wanted some feedback on what some of you may have heard or experienced. Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.
~BEAUTY REFLECTS THE IMAGE THAT LIES WITHIN~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lisa H.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kinda ironic
Birthday:     01/07/80
Rebirthday:11/17/08 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Is this group still active?
CocoButterfly · 2 replies · 200 views
Please help
revemclane1028 · 4 replies · 1143 views
CANDY CANE SYNDROME