Help looking into surgeries, When your body starts to shrink, is there pain?

ELLA_C
on 10/2/20 10:58 am

Hello everyone. Most of you might think this is a lame question, but I was looking at a surgeon's website and the before/after photos. In a few of the men's photos, the before pictures seemed to show larger heads/faces on them and the before pictures showed a significant reduction in the size of their heads. It occurred to me that it might be painful for your body to start to shrink after surgery.

Is there pain associated? I hope both men and women respond so have feedback from both sides!

Thank you.

Janet P.
on 10/2/20 11:24 am

No pain. Your head doesn't change size - you will lose fat in your face so it may appear smaller, as with the rest of your body. I always thought I was "big boned". Turns out I'm petite.

Excess skin is an annoyance but i never experienced pain.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Dee_Caprini
on 10/2/20 3:43 pm

Same here! I found out that my skeletal frame is 6lbs, I think!

ELLA_C
on 10/2/20 3:52 pm

Janet P. thanks for not laughing! When I viewed those pictures of before/after, it just seemed like your body must expand in the joints and other places since some of the heads looked much smaller, but it had to be the face. It made me wonder with any contraction that happens, if it hurts. Thanks very much!

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/20 11:40 am
RNY on 01/01/14

Lol, gosh no.

The only pain I experienced was having to give away the expensive clothes I'd collected over many years which no longer fit me... but after surgery I didn't need the fit and magic cut and fabrics of expensive clothes to look good :)

If I'd had surgery recently I'd sell my stuff on Poshmark and get rich lol :)

ELLA_C
on 10/2/20 3:56 pm

Veggiewoman, I hadn't even thought of that. It must have been a bit upsetting, but your success with your health is a much better thing to have in your pocket than the clothing money, I bet. I am hoping to find out more so I can get rid of some nice but kinda square clothing sizes. Thanks!

Dee_Caprini
on 10/2/20 3:38 pm

I wouldn't say it was painful to lose the weight. I had more pain when I had more weight on my joints being 350 pounds. As I lost weight, things shifted and I may have had aches and pains, but that went away. I would say the only thing that may hurt now is my tailbone because I don't have butt fat cushioning!

ELLA_C
on 10/2/20 4:02 pm

Dee_Caprini,

It's hard to describe what I was thinking, but I hear ya on the joints and that pain from the weight. It makes sense that things shift and may cause some discomfort, but good to hear it goes away! I've got plenty of butt fat cushioning and am very eager to finish up research so I can narrow down my surgery choices and lose a good portion of that cushioning! Thanks for the info!

Jmm4321
on 10/4/20 12:21 pm

As a guy, I can verify your head does not shrink and there is no pain. There will be many effects as you lose substantial weight. For me that included short term changes in food tastes, smell, preferences, etc. I experienced dizzy intermittently between 9 to 18 months out, amoungst other things. All temporary.

The most important lesson to me is you are not thin and fit afterwards or equivalent to 20 years younger. You are a morbidly obese person with an absence of fat, and now have to deal with the consequences. Loose skin, learning to exercise, dealing with your mental bagge you used to blame on being fat, etc.

Its well worth it but there's a long term price and continuing effort. Losing fat is the start, not the finish.

ELLA_C
on 10/6/20 12:56 pm

Jmm4321, thanks for a guy's response and it sounds like wisdom beyond just the answer I was looking for. You sound like you have learned a lot so far, and the information is helpful to a newbie. This helps me to not get unrealistic expectations and to realize that surgery is not the hard part, but the starting gate. Well said, thanks a lot!

Most Active