Compression garments/shapewear thoughts?

Amy R.
on 4/3/19 7:05 pm, edited 4/3/19 7:09 pm

Question for all of you, newbies and long term vets: If money were no object at all, which brand of shapewear or whatever it's called would you use? Is Spanx really the best? Are there other brands you prefer? What would you be looking for in the perfect choice for yourself?

Every bit of feedback would be helpful. Anybody?

edited: should have mentioned, looking for high waisted but no longer than boy short length. Thanks!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/3/19 7:38 pm, edited 4/3/19 12:38 pm

Any shapeweare I have is at least 1 if not more sizes bigger than my clothing size. I wear S- M bottoms, but I have shapeweare up to XL. I want that to smooth the lines, keep things in, but was flexible enough for me to be able to wear it for a few hours without feeling like I am suffocating. Any size small shapeweare I ever bought - I cut into little pieces long time ago.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 4/3/19 7:45 pm

I see you and I have a similar "shapewear philosophy" Hala. I'd actually not been wearing any at all, but the surgeon's nurse said it might help. At least until this thing is healed.

Do you have a go-to brand?

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/3/19 9:11 pm

I don't. I bought some at Ross. I only wear it when I go out and went to look put together, wearing a nice dress. Shortly after WLS as I was losing weight, I was trying to get some specific brand, but at the end, I didn't like any, because I was buying for size, not how they really fit on me. When I reached goal I tent to wear as small as possible sizes (vanity) but very fast I abandoned that idea. App 2-3 years post op, I really start developing my own style, that has some fitted items, but most is just easy of use, ability to move in them and comfort while looking great.

I think spinx make me sweat a lot, and I stopped trying to use them.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 4/4/19 7:56 am

None of this stuff seems exceptionally comfortable so I don't forsee myself sticking with it after this healing but who knows? People seem to swear by it.

The sizing charts I've seen go by actual measurements and mine came out to a size medium which seems small to me. My jeans are mostly eights and tens. All of my dresses need altering and are way too big so those sizes don't factor in. Am I understanding correctly that you go up at least one size then?

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/4/19 11:07 am

I do go by fit. I don't buy if I can't try or able to return.

If you need that to help with the recovery from Hernia surgery, I used a very wide belt called waist trimmer. I had some like that that were really wide. I put over a tank-top. And I used a good exercise leggings.

Amy R.
on 4/4/19 3:18 pm

I saw those and wondered if they would be helpful. My vanity is showing because all I can think about is what all of the extra skin on my abdomen would fall below that so I'd have a really weird shape. Maybe I'll try one though.

Thanks for all of this Hala.

VSGAnn2014
on 4/4/19 1:03 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Ditto about sizing up in shapewear!

All I want from "shapewear" is smoothing, not compression. Compression means I cannot breathe!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Amy R.
on 4/4/19 3:22 pm

I completely understand the not breathing part. Mine isn't really a choice though I guess, apparently wearing the compression level garments will keep my sore abdomen from jiggling and that would help for sure right about now.

On even a semi-regular basis I would not opt for very much of that compression type feeling. That was my biggest takeaway when I tried all of this stuff several years ago. I kept two things and they are both too big to make a decent difference right now.

Partlypollyanna
on 4/4/19 2:59 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I have been using MD woman line off amazon. I like the smoothing and a bit of compression but not being completely squished and unable to breathe and this fits that criteria!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active