Halo Top Ice Cream?

AngAng
on 4/14/17 6:55 am

Has anyone here tried Halo Top Ice Cream? A friend of mine is super fit and healthy, she recommends Halo Top Ice Cream if a person feels the need to splurge. Hi in protein, low in carbs... even has fiber. She said it isn't cheap, but its delish.

Trying to get a feel of what is ok and what isn't.

White Dove
on 4/14/17 7:17 am - Warren, OH

The secret of any healthy version product is portion control. The statistics are for 1/2 cup and most would eat a pint or a quart if it really tastes good.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mute
on 4/14/17 7:49 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I have a major obsession with this product.

BUT I also didn't try it until I was about 18 months out.

And like White Dove said - portion control. I actually eat what the portion sizes say they should be - 1/4 cup. That NEVER would have happened before surgery. I would have easily eaten the entire thing in one sitting and did regularly of Ben & Jerry's.

But I eat this as a snack about once or twice a week in 1/4 cup portions and have for the last few months on and off when I'm in the mood for it. I weigh myself once a week and I paid close attention to when I tried it for the first time to see if it affected me at all. It didn't so I was ok with eating it.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

AngAng
on 4/14/17 8:06 am

Oh absolutely, portion control. I am not a sweets person and never really craved ice cream. The most I would ever eat is a McDonalds vanilla cone, very small. Anyway, after my hubby has healed, that could be something he could have as a small treat once in a while. I would never think of eating the entire container in a sitting.

Also, can or do people drink Diet Pop? I don't drink carbonated beverages but my husband does. Because of being diabetic he is drinking diet pepsi instead of the regular Coke product. He doesn't drink the diet pepsi nearly as much as he used to... but are carbonated beverages tolerated?

What about beer, wine or a ****tail on occasion? Are they tolerated?

And... bringing up wine.. what about wine when taking communion?

Hopefully my questions are annoying. thank you.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/14/17 9:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Some people have trouble with gas when they drink carbonated beverages. Letting the drink go half flat can help if you have trouble with it, that's what I did once I started drinking Diet Coke again. I can drink it with full fizz now, but it definitely gave me gas trouble at first.

It's very important to be careful with alcohol after WLS for several reasons. After surgery, most people's tolerance for alcohol goes WAY down, and it's possible to get quite tipsy after just one drink. Alcohol is nothing but empty carbs and calories. And "transfer" addiction is very real-- folks can't eat, but they CAN drink, and alcoholism is a very real risk.

A sip of communion wine shouldn't be an issue, but it may be a good idea to check with your surgeon just in case.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Loki
on 4/16/17 9:45 pm
VSG on 03/27/17

My doctor said the carbonation will stretch your stomach

reree6898
on 4/14/17 8:17 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

If ice cream is a trigger food for you then stay away from it because it is so very good. It is a different consistancy then regular ice cream but go**** tastes good. As the others have said though you do need to pay attention to portion size because while it is half the calories of regular ice cream the portion is still just 1/2 cup.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/14/17 8:39 am
RNY on 12/31/13

A McDonald's small cone is 170 calories, 4.5 g fat, 27 carbs and 5 g of protein. It is supposed to have 6.5 oz --which is almost HALF a PINT. That isn't small and almost a day's worth of carbs even three years out...

I like Halo Top too much. The lowest calorie flavors are 240 calories. I cannot have it in the house -- it's a trigger for me.

Although it doesn't taste as good, I use Arctic Zero (150 calorie pints) -- probably doesn't "trigger" me because it isn't as good.

I only buy it a few times a year -- and I cut it into two servings (75 calories each) -- for portion control.

I didn't start eating them until I was already at goal -- not at all in the first 18 months.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NYMom222
on 4/15/17 3:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I haven't bought any of them for fear of the slippery slope... If so really want ice cream there is a place here that sells that Only 8 frozen yogurt or an Italian ice chain that has sugar free. It's a public food for me... I can control it in public.

I find I can keep the low carb tortillas or pitas in the house because they aren't that good that I am overly tempted

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/15/17 3:30 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

HAHAHAHA. We have a Rita's Italian Ice and frozen custard here -- it's really good. When I was SMO and an insulin-dependent diabetic, I would go there all the time to get the sugar-free Italian ices. What could be bad about ice and flavoring -- it was sugar free!!

OMG. No wonder I was 347 pounds. A regular sugar-free chocolate mint Italian ice has 240 calories and 80 grams of carbs!! WTF?

I love love love the idea of "public" food.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active