Frustrated with Surgeon's office

-Flo-
on 3/18/17 8:38 am
DS on 04/11/16

So I had a revision done last week. I have had an allergic reaction to morphine and when I was in the pacu, I had a severe side effect of itching with the dilaudid. The surgeon and his team came by and they decided to give me IV Tylenol and IV toradol (basically a strong NSAISD) for my first post op night. It was not nearly enough medicine and I was in tears.

The next day, I was started on pain pills- perocets. It helped so much. I was later released and given enough percocets for 3 days. The problem was, in 3 days, it would be a Sunday. I was very nervous that I would experience the horrible pain and no one would be able to prescribe anything to me, because it is the weekend. So I called the doctor's office on Friday and explained my situation to them. The nurse talked to the doctor and then to me and said that I was just having anxiety, that the pain meds will be enough, that they never give extra to people. So I was like oh, I guess I'll just have to make it work.

So now today, my stomach is hurting worse. I have nausea and vomiting and I haven't had a bm in over 6 days even though I am taking miralax and stool softners. The nurse spoke to me, sounded really nice and was like try x,y,z, and I'll call you later. So she just called me back, and said well I talked to the Dr. He says you are using too much pain medicine, just use Tylenol. But how can I stop the pain meds, if I am still in significant pain? I feel like this doctor's practice really minimizes pain and I'm getting angry over it. Also, the nurse was not as nice as she was earlier. As if, I had done some mortal sin of asking for pain meds.

I mean I just had major surgery along with tightening of the abdominal muscles and they want me to just use Tylenol? Am I being overly sensitive? I just feel like I am being punished for other peoples dependence on opioids. Like I am really in physically pain from a surgery that you did and you are trying to minimize it. It's so unfair. Sorry, this is a lot of me whining.

peachpie
on 3/18/17 10:14 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Pain is subjective, everyone's experience will be different. If I was a doctor and got a call about getting meds for pain a patient anticipated having, it'd raise an eyebrow. It's no different than eating in anticipation of being hungry IMO. I agree with your doctor.

What we do know is true is that every day out from surgery is better than the last (absent complications). For me- by 3-4 days out all I needed was Tylenol. Percocet won't help nausea, vomiting or cinstipatiin.

What surgery did you have? Tightening of the abdomen muscles isn't common in a revision...

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

-Flo-
on 3/18/17 10:37 am
DS on 04/11/16

It's interesting, this doctor's practice preaches to anticipate your needs and find solutions. For food, they often talk about planning snacks and eating your prescribed amount even if you are not hungry. They feel this works the best to keep the metabolism running. I assumed they felt the same way towards anticipating pain.

Laura in Texas
on 3/18/17 10:29 am

Your profile says you revised to the DS a year ago. What did you have done this time?

I did not need pain meds after a few days for my RNY but after plastics I stayed on them for 2 weeks.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

-Flo-
on 3/18/17 10:34 am
DS on 04/11/16

A section of my BP limb has become chronically infected. I have been on antibiotics continuously for the last 3 months. So they removed that section and did a little rerouting. My abdominal muscles are so weak now that he basically had to do an abdominoplasty to allow the muscle to support the new surgical site. That is what hurts, the area of muscle repair. Not the DS site. I could understand them giving me a hard time, if this was just a regular surgery. But he literally tightened and sutured my abdominal wall.

Laura in Texas
on 3/18/17 10:39 am

Oh no!! I hope you feel better soon. This is why I hoard my old pain meds

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

NYMom222
on 3/18/17 5:36 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes muscle tightening will cause pain. You are right 3 days isn't enough... Being right doesn't help...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

GmaDiana
on 3/18/17 7:18 pm

That is just crazy.You did have major surgery and they should have given you more than 3 days worth.Especially now when they can't call it in and you have to pick up the script and then get it filled.I would call first thing Monday and make them understand you had major surgery not WLS.Tell them you need to talk to the Dr if the front desk doesn't help you.Or show up sometimes Drs don't get back to you til the end of the day. I feel so bad for you.I also save any extra pain meds in case I need them in an emergency.

rocky513
on 3/18/17 10:36 am - WI

I had very little pain medication after my revision. I went home with a prescription for Tramodol and I only took one dose. Tylenol was really all I needed. Did I have pain? Yes. Was it something I could not handle? No. I would rather not medicate if not absolutely necessary.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/18/17 10:47 am

I a! So sorry you are dealing with pain. Unfortunately...Now days docs hate prescribe any more that they personally think is enough.

As others said - I try to use as little as possible, using more Tylenol, breaking pills in half, etc...so I had done left over for any major pains like that.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active