Nsaids post RNY

Djmohr
on 1/30/17 2:25 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

Hi There,

Has anyone used nsaids for a short term situation post RNY?  I had some surgery done that impacted a nerve in my elbow. The best thing for me to do besides icing is to take nsaids and I know there is a way for us RNYers to take it in the short term.

Of course I have a call in to my surgeons office but wanted to see if any of you out there have had to do it and if there were any negative impacts. I do not want to add another issue and certainly do not want to damage my pouch. That being said, this nerve issue could go on for some weeks/months. I want to protect myself if I am going to do it.

Thoughts?

One Bad Beach
on 1/30/17 2:38 pm
RNY on 11/28/16

I was told never, not even short term.

My sister, RNY 10+ years ago, took a lot of Advil and Aleve for joint issues.  She nearly died because of an ulcer.  Like....took a ride on a helicopter so she could get to a bigger hospital.  Her house looked like a horror movie had been played out there.

But...when in doubt, call your surgeon, as you already have.  I would take their advice to be the best practice for you.  Hopefully, you can talk to the surgeon who fixed your elbow and get something else other than NSAIDs.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

Djmohr
on 1/30/17 2:46 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

For me it is nsaids or nothing as I am allergic to gabapentin/lyrica which can help with this issue. I have not decided if I will take them or not but my doctor called me a short time ago and said as long as I take a PPI along with it, it should not cause a problem.

I do think I will hold out for one more week before doing anything if I can stand it. My left hand has become hypersensitive. Touching it, even air is excruciating. We bruised the Medial nerve. I have been dealing with it for 11 days now but I am not sleeping hardly at all and am recuperating from a pretty major surgery. Sleep would be good. LOL!

In the mean time my surgeon told me to try working hard to desensitize it by touching it, using different textures like a bowl of rice, water, heat, cold....anything to get the nerves to get used to it.

It is not fun but I will do it...

Thanks for your response!

Fordtmacrae1
on 1/30/17 3:59 pm

I'm glad you called your doctor. I'm pre op ryn and was told I had to stop all NSAIDS permanently before surgery would be scheduled. I've stopped all NSAIDs that I'd taken for many years due to joint pain issues. I went through several months of increased pain after stopping them. I too am allergic to gabapentin and Lyrica so I feel for you. Best wishes. 

GmaDiana
on 1/30/17 3:55 pm

I haven't taken nsaids but I have taken Celebrex for a while.My  weight loss Dr approved it.Didn't have to stay on long term.A nurse in the office had the RNY and took 1 aspirin when  she started her period,she ended up with an ulcer.

rocky513
on 1/30/17 4:06 pm - WI

No NSAIDS... ever.  A PPI will do nothing to protect you.  NSAIDS are a  systemic medicine that get into the blood stream and cause a thinning of the stomach lining which can create an ulcer even with just one dose.  It does not matter how the medication is delivered. Pill, patch, IV all do the same thing to the stomach lining.

Have you tried Tramodol?  It's the only pain reliever that has ever worked for me and it is acetaminophen based, so it is safe post WLS.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Djmohr
on 1/30/17 5:27 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

That is interesting about the PPI not protecting you for even short term. May I ask where you heard that? 

Trust me, I will do nothing unless approved by my surgeon first. I do not want an ulcer.

Unfortunately this is about the inflammation and not the pain relief. They have had me on Dilaudid for the last 10 days following a major surgery and it really doesn't help this hypersensitive nerve pain. The most important thing is to get the swelling down which is why we are considering ibuprofen for a short duration. I have been icing 40 min on, 20 min off for 11 days now.

We are going to give it a little more more time and hope that it starts to improve. Otherwise my two surgeons are going to talk and come up with a plan.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/17 4:42 am

How about using Prednisone for inflammation? 

There are also some herbal combination that can work for inflammation.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Djmohr
on 1/31/17 4:03 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

Prednisone is out for me because i have Psoriatic arthritis and it has been in remission for 2 years now. Prednisone or even solumedrol will kick that into full gear.

I do use essential oils for pain and inflammation. I am trying actually using lemongrass and frankincense as others have had positive reports. I just started leveraging them today so we will see if i can make that work.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/17 7:50 pm

Great. I use lots of essential oils. 

Don't forget about arnica ...That also works. Together with ginger and turmeric. I do use turmeric combination by Gaia herbs. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active