Question about chewable vs. regular vitamins

z_m14
on 7/19/16 7:28 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

My NUT recommends chewable vitamins for new post-op patients. She also recommends that we take bariatric-formulated chewables because regular vitamins might not absorb as well.

What do you guys take? Since I'm only two weeks out, I ordered a few pills from Bariatric Advantage, but I'd love to switch to a cheaper alternative. Do I really need to take chewables for life, and do they have to be the specialty bariatric ones? I would love to get my vitamins at Walgreens where I can buy one bottle and get another free. I'm a college student, so money can be tight sometimes. 

If the chewable BA are the best, I would continue taking them, but if the generic pills are just as efficient, I'd like to switch to them.

SoCalDee
on 7/19/16 7:47 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

I ordered most of the  chewable ones from BA too but if Nature Made had an alternative I ordered those instead.

I don't think my surgeon said I had to use the BA ones, they just suggested it.

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

Laura in Texas
on 7/19/16 8:31 pm

I do cheap ones from CVS and Walgreens. I am almost 8 years out and my labs have always been good. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CMR1075
on 7/19/16 8:51 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Good to know because I have been stressing about the types of vitamins, whether cheaper ones were good or not. I'm about to get my 6 months post op labs done and worried about the outcome. What do you take daily? I take 7 different vitamins and hoping it's enough. 

Valerie G.
on 7/20/16 5:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I went severely deficient on designer bariatric vitamins, so I put very little value in them.  Centrum makes chewable multi's, which not all docs require you take chewables, they will be more comfortable at first if you can handle the taste, but over time you will be able to handle pills okay.  Another alternative is patches.  Patchmd.com has a line.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

crystal M.
on 7/20/16 9:16 am - Joliet, IL

Centrum makes these chewable vitamins called Vitamints.  Just as the name says, they are minty.  I like to take them in the morning on my way to work.  I feel like my breath is nice and fresh for work. 

http://www.centrum.com/centrum-vitamints?flavor=group&utm_so urce=bing&utm_term=vitamints&utm_campaign=Brand%3A+Vitamints %3A+Exact&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=DTfy9nsD|pcrid|11079331 894|pkw|vitamints|pmt|e|pdv|c|&mkwid=DTfy9nsD_dc&pcrid=11079 331894&pkw=vitamints&pmt=e&channel=Search

SkottiRNY
on 7/20/16 10:09 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hi. 

I ordered chewables from ProCare Health. They are reasonably priced, and the main thing is, I have never had any issues with my blood work. I did chewables for the first 4 moths, then I switched to their capsules. I don't have a problem swallowing capsules. Last year they changed their formula, but realized it was in error, so they are back to the original. A lot of people like them. Call Erin at Ext. 228 She will help you no problem. 1-877-822-5808. 

Cheers,

Skotti 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

NHPOD9
on 7/20/16 10:47 am

I think it's a bunch of phooey that bariatric vitamins are somehow better for us. All you have to do is look at the stats on the back and compare them with other brands. I find that most other brands, like Kirkland or Centrum, actually have better percentages. 

You are also not obligated to take chewables for life. Some take tablets right from the start, but it seems most practices recommend waiting six months to give your pouch time to heal/adjust. 

Just make sure to stay away from child vitamins, like Flintstones, and gummies. They definitely lack nutrients. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

supershopper
on 7/20/16 1:17 pm, edited 7/20/16 6:17 am

I did centrum chewables from the beginning until i could take regular ones. either the orange or vitamints. vitamints do not have iron i don't believe -so make sure you are getting what you need.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/20/16 1:24 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've been on regular multivitamins since day 1. I had to cut the pills up into small pieces and swallow them one at a time for the first week or two, but afterwards I had no problem.

I take the Walgreen's generic version of Centrum Senior. I've added iron and calcium pills, and also B12 after my blood work showed I was a bit low on that one.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active