Almost one week since surgery

z_m14
on 7/11/16 1:18 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

Can't believe tomorrow will make it a week since my surgery. I have to say that my pain is a lot better, and I'm able to sleep in my bed on my left and right sides. I HATED sleeping on my back in the hospital. I am not a "back" sleeper.

As of now, I've been walking around the house every few hours. 

Three questions:

What did you do in the week after your surgery exercise-wise? 

Also, did you have much pain a week out from your surgery? 

What advice can you give for someone a week out of surgery? 

Sorry for all the questions, but I learn a lot from all of you! 

Grim_Traveller
on 7/11/16 1:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

All I was allowed for 8 weeks after surgery was walking. I walked a lot.

The best thing you can do a week out is drink. Drink often. Walk. Then drink more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

JaxLiving
on 7/11/16 3:12 pm - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

The only exercise my doctor allowed at that point, was walking. I was allowed to begin doing more at four weeks post-op.  I did not have a lot of pain, but a little bit on my left side. You definitely need to drink a lot and walk as much as possible!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

White Dove
on 7/11/16 4:03 pm - Warren, OH

I used the treadmill and watched a movie while I was on it.  I only allowed myself to watch the movie while I was walking on the treadmill.  I saw a lot of movies in that eight weeks and put a lot of steps on the treadmill.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

InItToWinIt
on 7/12/16 3:59 pm, edited 7/12/16 8:59 am

Love this! I'm almost a week out from my surgery and I've been doing the same thing with a tv series on Netflix! Really helps make the exercise go by faster and makes me look forward to my next workout. Great suggestion. 

petra65
on 7/12/16 12:42 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Im 2 weeks out.  I walk around the neighborhood.  I have to do it early in the morning or evening because it is really hot here during the middle of the middle of the day.  You will get tired easily but keep at it, it gets better.

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

Taunya
on 7/12/16 1:54 am
RNY on 07/05/16

Hello!  We share the same surgery anniversary (surgiversary).  I have been getting up every morning and walking for 35 minutes or so. I think I am going to take a new path tomorrow and try to push myself some more. 

I am shocked by how well I am feeling!  I have minor discomfort. I have been sleeping great for days and I feel fabulous!  

Renren
on 7/12/16 8:53 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I walked and rode my recumbant stationary bike. But I set it so that it was super easy to pedal, and rode it as slowly as walking. I put my ipad on the front of the bike and it was much less boring.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

VSG-DSG
on 7/12/16 9:59 am - Perris, CA
VSG on 06/09/16

I'm 4 weeks out and all I'm allowed to do for now is walk.  So I get on the treadmill for that.   As for pain, I never really had any.  Never used the pain meds.  It was just more of a feeling of discomfort.

Just keep up your walking , keep sipping your liquids and get all your protein in.  You'll do great.  Good luck 

Lisa F.
on 7/12/16 10:07 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Hi there -

Congratulations for making it one week! I'm 5 weeks post op and just starting to feel like I'm in a normal routine as far as eating & drinking. Here are my thoughts and experiences:

• I'm only walking... it's hot here too so I just went to the gym yesterday and got on the elliptical, but only for a half hour and didn't pu****
  • Exhaustion is common and comes and goes... learning to not plan too much and just listen to my body
  • Not much pain from the surgery but had a tough time getting protein and water in. Six weeks ou****er is still a problem but realizing constipation is a main contributor in all this, so try to stay ahead of this. If not it becomes a vicious cycle: constipation makes it hard to drink, and not drinking enough leads to constipation.
  • Most importantly, drink your fluids! 64 oz is sometimes not enough for me so you may need more
  • Emotional ups and downs may happen and I understand are common. Don't be surprised if you cry for no reason...it's ok!

I hope this helps,

Lisa

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

Most Active