Almost a week til surgery...thoughts, worries, concerns

z_m14
on 6/26/16 2:54 pm, edited 6/26/16 2:56 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

Well, my surgery is about a week and a day away, and I am starting to get really anxious. When you went through this process, did you have a range of thoughts from: "I am so excited to be doing this!" to "Oh my God, what in the hell am I doing?" I go from one extreme to another. I have worries about dumping, puking, etc.

At the same time, I'm excited for what awaits me after surgery. I can't wait to feel better and do things that I can't do at my current weight (shop in normal clothing stores, run, etc.) I'm ready for all the benefits, but I'm scared of what else could possibly happen. What did you all do to calm your anxiety before surgery (if you had anxiety, at all).

I meet with my surgeon on Wednesday, and I want to go in and ask him questions, but I don't know what to ask. What would be good questions to ask?

Boxerlover3452
on 6/26/16 3:35 pm
RNY on 06/06/16

I had SOME anxiety as anyone would with major surgery.  As far as asking questions, ask questions that you want answers to.  Your surgeon is not a mind reader.  My surgeon went over everything and explained everything so fully he answered all my questions.  Worried about "dumping"???  If you follow your doctor's orders, you won't have any issues.  However, if you do have an episode, consider it a lesson in what you ate and note that you probably can't eat that particular item at this time.  I'm 20 days post surgery and on Thursday I had a very minor period of nausea due to drinking Crystal Light.  Even though it's on my list of acceptable things to drink I either drank it too fast or drank too much.  I will try it again only drinking a smaller amount and see how I feel.  If I'm ok after say a half cup, then I'll know I drank too much and I will have learned a lesson.  "Dumping" isn't so bad if you learn from it.

chassibi
on 6/27/16 9:05 am

I'm only 7 weeks post op, but at this point I consider dumping a protective measure. I don't know if I will dump, so I don't touch foods that may cause dumping. Works for me. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

April Parker
on 6/27/16 9:37 pm, edited 6/27/16 2:38 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

I was only nervous about letting go of food. Its embarrassing. But true. I have so much work to do on my relationship and love for food. But I wasn't nervous about the actual surgery. The first few days at home really, really sucked. Being around things you can't have. You're not physically hungry but your head is telling you to eat because it tastes so good. Ofc I didn't, but man, that and the pain from gas and just general not feeling well at all. But after a few days it got easier and I had more energy and was able to do more. Good luck!

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

ArtsyFartsy
on 6/30/16 3:05 pm
VSG on 07/13/16

Hello!

I'm new here, but I wanted to pop in and say I am also getting close to surgery. I started my pre-op liver-shrinking diet yesterday so I guess that makes yesterday the two-week mark.

Anxiety is at a max! I found out tha****ching YouTube videos can either help or scare you to death. I am having doubts today that I never considered before. But - good news - that's the reason I found this forum and you guys helped put my doubts to rest.

I hope you can focus on those epic clothes and on imagining the feel of wind against your face when you go running, rather than worrying any more today!

-Artsy

Most Active