I hadn't heard of this procedure before today: gastric outlet reduction

Alison B.
on 6/15/16 1:08 pm - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

I read about this procedure today and thought I'd share the information in case it's new to others as well. (I am not an M.D. and I'm not recommending this procedure to anyone.) 

----------------------------------------------------------------

[This is about the Mayo Clinic Bariatric Center in Florida]

The Bariatric Center in Florida also offers another endoscopic procedure, known as gastric outlet reduction, for some people who have had successful gastric bypass surgery but start to regain weight a year or more later. Gastric outlet reduction reduces the size of the opening between the stomach and small intestine. Mayo Clinic researchers have demonstrated that in some cases, over-dilation of this opening is responsible for weight regain after gastric bypass surgery.

Source: Abu Dayyeh BK, et al. Gastrojejunal stoma diameter predicts weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2011;9:228.

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

hollykim
on 6/15/16 2:04 pm, edited 6/15/16 9:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

On June 15, 2016 at 8:08 PM Pacific Time, Alison B. wrote:

I read about this procedure today and thought I'd share the information in case it's new to others as well. (I am not an M.D. and I'm not recommending this procedure to anyone.) 

----------------------------------------------------------------

[This is about the Mayo Clinic Bariatric Center in Florida]

The Bariatric Center in Florida also offers another endoscopic procedure, known as gastric outlet reduction, for some people who have had successful gastric bypass surgery but start to regain weight a year or more later. Gastric outlet reduction reduces the size of the opening between the stomach and small intestine. Mayo Clinic researchers have demonstrated that in some cases, over-dilation of this opening is responsible for weight regain after gastric bypass surgery.

Source: Abu Dayyeh BK, et al. Gastrojejunal stoma diameter predicts weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2011;9:228.

we have heard of it a lot on this message board. Often ppl will say my stoma has stretched and this is the repair for that. 

We have seen varying degrees of success with it from the members who have had it.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/15/16 2:23 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are a bunch of procedures that try to reduce the size of the stoma. The Rose Procedure and Stomaphyx are the most common. It is really, really rare to have long term success with this.

Most of the weight they help people lose seems to come from the pre and postop liquid diets and the initial healing phase.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active