Pre-Op Diet cheats...anyone have one?? 8 days until surgery...

KLee7
on 5/25/16 10:19 am
VSG on 06/02/16

I have surgery in 8 days and in four will go to clear liquids.  I was supposed to do 10 days of shakes and salads prior to the clear liquids.  I have had two days where I did not adhere to that....I am so nervous that they will not be able to do surgery...I do not want to get to Mexico/A Lighter Me and not be able to do this....it has been too long in coming.  Of course, if I wanted it that bad why did I not do the diet...well that is part of the reason I am having the surgery...

Kristen

pammieanne
on 5/25/16 10:36 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Don't cheat anymore... this is it. Especially don't cheat on the all liquids....

That being said, I may or may not have had a night of utter ridiculous cheating while on my 10 day pre-op diet. I did however, stick to my 3 day clear liquids like a champ. And I cheated early on in my 10 day diet... because you know, in my mind, it made more sense.

Get a grip now. You've had your fun and got the cheat out of the way... be a good girl now ;)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

The Salty Hag
on 5/25/16 11:22 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Once I was on my 30 day Optifast diet, nope...I didn't cheat. I was still allowed one low carb/ high protein food meal a day until 3 days before surgery, so I wasn't missing solid food. During my 6 months of weigh-ins and support group meetings, yeah...I had some food funerals.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Kathy S.
on 5/25/16 11:43 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I feel bad for all of you that have to do this.  Hello if we could lose weight on our own we would have done so already. That being said you have to do what ever it takes to get this surgery and get healthy to live.  I didn't have this and sadly admit I had last meals for weeks 

Focus, make it happen.  I stuck with my eating plan for 18 months after reaching goal and the first thing I ate was a piece of bread.   I wanted to make sure my weight stayed off and didn't want to try trigger foods until i was sure I could only eat a bite.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

brownblonde
on 5/25/16 12:02 pm

My sentiments exactly.  My doctor said it was blaming the victim to ask people who are coming to him for help losing weight after a lifetime losing battle with it to lose 10-20% of their weight!  I had no such food restrictions.  The day before surgery I remember I ate pad thai.  It was delicious.  And I'm glad I did.  Because even 6 years later (tomorrow), pasta is about the worst thing for me to eat.

Yes, this is a big change and you have to be on board with it!  But I don't believe wanting a last food funeral means you don't have the discipline/whatever to be successful.  And besides the which, I think that's a lot of phooey to buy into the fact that you "deserve" the weight you are currently or that thin people "deserve" to be skinny.  To me that's like saying people with heart disease deserve heart disease?!  Heck no!  We are sick.  We got help.  And we don't have to "prove" our superhumanness or exceptional self-discipline just to be able to sit in a normal sized seat!  Wow, sorry, soapbox lol.  

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/25/16 12:51 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Same. My preop is 4 shakes + 1 lean protein and unlimited veggies up until tonight at midnight

For lunch I had a panera salad and a little french onion soup. Super thankful...

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

KLee7
on 5/27/16 9:08 am
VSG on 06/02/16

That is so awesome.  Thanks for the support.  I start ALL Liquid on Sunday and have surgery on Thursday and I will make sure to adhere...you are my remodel for success!

The Salty Hag
on 5/25/16 12:26 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I think a lot of surgeons really do it to see if we can be compliant with an all-liquid diet. I think they just use the "liver shrinking diet" to make it sound more necessary.

Now, why my surgeon lets his patients one food meal a day...I have no clue, but it was fine by me. I just shut up and went along for the ride...LOL.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/25/16 12:45 pm

I had a 4 weeks - protein shakes with one meal diet. No I didn't cheat. it was not worth it.  I knew I can "diet " for one month..

10 days and you need to cheat? ask yourself if you are really ready for WLS... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/25/16 1:23 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You need to let your doctor know ASAP. If your liver has not shrunk enough because you didn't follow the diet exactly, some doctors will close you right up and refuse to operate.

Yes, we all know that we've failed at diets in the past, so no wonder it's hard to do a pre-op liquid diet. BUT. Surgery is not magic. If you want to reach goal, you need to be 100% on-track after surgery. Two cheats every ten days (especially if the "cheat" food is something very high-calorie and/or high-carb) and you'll have a LOT of trouble post-op.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active