New here looking for some help

Sue E.
on 4/21/16 10:57 am - Paulding, OH

Hello everyone.

My husband is going to be having the sleeve surgery on June 15th and we aren't sure what to start doing now to prepare.

His pre-surgery appointment is May 31st so we have about 4 weeks til that.

We just are not sure what we should be doing ahead of that appointment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kathy S.
on 4/21/16 11:55 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Every surgeon's program is different so go by the program and instructions  your surgeon always.  

In the mean time, work on head issues, seriously I tell people you have to get it right between the ears before re-arranging your plumbing.  I don't care what surgery you have if you don't deal with why you ate yourself to the number on the scale now it's not going to work long term.

Also, research, research, research your surgery type choice.  Here are some link that will help and be sure and stop by and say hi on our

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

Keep us posted on how your husband is doing 

Here are some additional links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sue E.
on 4/21/16 12:03 pm - Paulding, OH

Thank you.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/21/16 2:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" is SUPER helpful. It'll give you an idea of what to expect before, during, and after surgery, I definitely recommend it-- for BOTH of you to read!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

lking
on 4/21/16 4:25 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

If your hubby isn't already on the Supervised Weight Loss diet then, honestly, I wouldn't do a darn thing before the appt.  He will have quite a lot to do after the meeting.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

-Flo-
on 4/21/16 6:43 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I suggest both of you read up on all things related to the sleeve.  Being on this site is a great way to start. 

LeapSecond
on 4/22/16 1:47 am - AR

I looked at what successful people at weight loss were doing and tried to follow their lead.  I practiced not drinking with my meals.  I gave up alcohol.  I am a fast eater so I timed my bites.  (still a work in progress) I started eating with small appetizer forks and spoons and use small plates.  Tried every thing I could do to get my head in the right place. I tracked everything on MFP.  I was reading this site every day pre op and still do.  Good luck.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Kathyjs
on 4/22/16 10:58 am

The best thing I did pre op was going for behavioral therapy. The surgery is not on our brains. I wish you all the best

AnImperfectAngel
on 4/22/16 11:38 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I'm still about 6 months pre-op and I've been preparing for several months already by removing alcohol, sodas, salt, chocolate and fast food/junk food from my diet. I'm also walking for an hour a day and recording everything I eat in MyFitnessPal.

Additionally, I am on this site everyday gathering some great info and support from others.

Good luck!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

GinaUnd
on 4/25/16 7:34 pm

A couple things not to do ....  Stock up on food - actually - go ahead and clean out the cabinets !

Don't go out and buy any new clothes unless you need a charity donation --- go ahead  clean out the closet ,.... keep the smaller sizes you cant wear right now,, your going to be wearing them in a few weeks,   Do not  prestock on any meds  --- esp diabetes  ones --  you will be cutting back on these pretty quickly.

Do not go on the last meal binge - you know spend 2 weeks going to favorite restaurants  - you will eat again -- just much better foods !

OK-- now be prepared that you may loose some  fat friends ,,, you know we all have that friend that you EAT with - cuz its not going to be that much fun anymore.......

one last thing -- stop worrying !! enjoy each day in the journey ... just be on time to your appts  

Most Active