Have any RNY'ers tried VitaFiber IMO or FiberYum as a Sweetener?

Talkingmountain
on 3/25/16 10:07 am
RNY on 12/28/15

VitaFiber IMO (isomalto-oligosaccharide) and FiberYum syrups and powders are now available at reasonable prices thru Amazon.  Have any of you tried these products?  Did they upset your stomach?

Although I'm being careful to avoid sweet foods, there are just some things that need a little sweetening!  So far I have tried and been unable to tolerate ANY sugar alcohols and sucralose (Splenda), which are in virtually every "sugar free" product out there -- I can't even chew a piece of sugar-free gum without stomach upset.  Then there's stevia, which tastes so bad it makes me gag.  Aspartame is ok but it's hard to find in products other than sodas.  I'd rather avoid artificial chemical sweeteners, anyway.

Also, inulin, another fiber that's added to a lot of foods, seems to mess up my stomach too.  And I'm wonderin gif this "isomalto-oligosaccharide" in VitaFiber and FiberYum is related?

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

NYMom222
on 3/25/16 1:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I bought the Vitafiber sampler pack directly from the manufacturer. I have only tried making my own 'Quest' type bars. They actually came out pretty good and it was easy....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/25/16 6:32 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I use FiberYum syrup to make my own Quest bars -- and I have also used it to make sugar-free pancake syrup for my family.  I don't have any issues with artificial sweeteners other than being very gassy with some sugar alcohols -- so I am not sure if I am of any assistance to your question.  I used to use a lot of Splenda and Sweet-n-Low -- but only recently converted almost entirely to organic liquid stevia to get away from "chemical" sweeteners.  I really have no real reason to -- I haven't had any bad experiences or anything.  Anyhow,   I actually really like it, but I did make the switch gradually.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/25/16 8:14 pm

I am supper sensitive to SA and... Also sensitive to IMO.  I can't use that.  My body can convert The IMO into simple sugars and...gas... My BS goes up really high when I use that.  The only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. 

I use organic liquid stevia. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/26/16 1:54 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Hala -- does your blood sugar rise with splenda and saccharine, too?  Do you have any rise with the organic liquid stevia?

I never had an appreciable rise in bG after either of them, but I did have a slight one.   -- but I noticed that with the stevia, I actually drop in the 1st hour and second hour post prandial.  Not to hypoglycemic levels or anything, but I drop at least 10 pts.  Have you experienced that at all?  

Just curious.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/26/16 2:32 pm

Both stevia or splenda can cause insulin release - stimulation. Sweet taste- body expects sugar...

But most splenda has dextrose. Dextrose is sugar. That may cause insulin stimulation.  And since not enough real sugar is present- it may cause bs drop. 

I drink diet tonic...that has saccharin. It doesn't bother me. But packets have dextrose. 

I never tested my BS after just liquid stevia. I know coffees, even black will lower my BS...

I am on steroids, and they keep my BS elevated. And fasting is 90-99...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/26/16 7:02 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I knew you would know.  

I am going to check my blood sugar after black coffee -- and then with the liquid stevia, too

Like yourself, saccharine never bothered me -- but I decided to steer away from it for the time being.

Most Active