X-Post: Homemade Quest Bars

Spencerella
on 3/23/16 12:12 pm, edited 3/23/16 2:57 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

While I didn't eat a lot of Quest Bars during my weight loss phase, I now eat one daily during maintenance. Early in my maintenance, I used them for extra protein, but now I use them to supplement my daily dose of Miralax for bathroom regularity.  I began looking for a cheaper substitute for Quest Bars that contained the same fiber but found nothing commercially made with a similar nutritional profile. I found this recipe online. If Quest Bars are part of your regime, you may want to give these a try.

Busy But Healthy - Homemade Quest Bars

It contains suggestions for many variations of the bars - flavours, textures, etc. The 'base' for many of them is protein powder, a little almond flour and VitaFiber. Then, you can add whatever you like as a secondary flavour. I tried making a White Chocolate Raspberry one with vanilla protein powder in the base, but it was way too sweet for my taste. I think the recipe would be much better with unflavoured protein powder, but since I didn't have any on hand, I cut back the amount of protein from 1 scoop to 2/3 scoop and upped the almond flour from 2 tsp to a generous 1 tbsp. Also, I halved the amount of white chocolate and found I like it best just laid on top of the bar after I've formed it.

I also think they would be good with a full scoop of peanut butter or other flavoured protein, 2 tsp of almond flour, 2 tbsp of VitaFiber and nothing else. If you added something to a flavoured protein powder, I would suggest something savoury instead of sweet (eg. 2 ground almonds). I've made them in the plastic bag as suggested, but also just formed the bar by hand and it turned out just fine. Here is one made with my modified base and sprinkled with stevia sweetened hazelnut milk chocolate. I put them in the refrigerator to get them a little more firm, but if I didn't do that, the texture would be more like a soft but chewy cookie.

Whatever your personal preference, be sure to enter the recipe into MFP to ensure it meets your macros. These types of bars can be very calorie dense so be careful! The one pictured below is about 210 calories and is very similar in size to an actual Quest Bar, which I've added for comparison. Have fun experimenting and be sure to let us know how things turn out!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/24/16 6:02 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I just wanted to thank you for posting this.  I see a lot of people looked but no one bothered to answer -- and frankly -- this recipe is great.  I've used it for a while.  I do use a cheaper source of the fiber syrup -- it has free shipping and costs less ... and I am super cheap

isomalto-oligosaccharide

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Spencerella
on 3/24/16 7:42 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Kat thanks for adding the link to the cheaper source.  No luck finding a supplier who will ship to Canada yet but I'll keep looking :-). I love these bars!

LINDA                 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/24/16 7:54 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I do too -- but I do make one or two at a time -- because I know myself.  HA!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Spencerella
on 3/24/16 8:02 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Oh yeah same here ;-). No normies here!

LINDA                 

Most Active