X-Post: Product Review - VitaFiber

Spencerella
on 3/21/16 10:59 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

This product might be old news to many of you, but I had not heard of it until recently.

VitaFiber

This fiber is used in commercial products such as Quest Bars. Like other fibers, it has a low glycemic index, also is a sweetener and prebiotic. Taste is great - about half the sweetness of regular sugar.

I bought the syrup to try my hand at making Quest Bars. Actually I had typed that post out and lost it, but then realized that the VitaFiber might be worth its own separate post.

I do not recommend using it during the weight loss phase, but it may be suitable for some of you who are in maintenance. I've tried it in my morning yogurt (which I don't usually sweeten, but I want the fiber). Two tablespoons of syrup (54 cals) was quite nice. The powder would be great for baking.

Quest Bar recipe to follow!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/21/16 11:27 am

"VitaFiber? is a high quality, pure mixture composed of isomalto-oligosacchardies (IMO)."

I know from experience that this "fiber" will affect my BS, plus give me lots of gas and pain. 

Anyone who has IBS or suspect they may have IBS, or SIBO - needs to be aware that this combination may not be really good for them to use.

It is very individual ... so if someone is very sensitive to SA- or that type of fiber - checking your BS 10-15 min after  ingesting food with that "fiber" may be a good idea. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Spencerella
on 3/21/16 11:35 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Thanks for adding this HALA. Good advice and a word of caution 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Kathy S.
on 3/21/16 2:23 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Spencerella  

Be sure and leave a review on this product 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/products/