Birthday Day after Surgery!

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 12/15/15 9:34 pm
WLS on 12/29/15

My Birthday is the day after surgery. My roommate will be gone and most of my friends due to the Holidays. My family is over 1000 miles away. My dad will be here to take care of me (he's a nurse :) ). Thoughts on what to do--I can't eat cake--obviously. New Tradition?

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/15 12:29 am - CA

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery and Happy Early Biirthday!   There are many delicious recipes you can make with protein shakes, that can be your celebration.  Depending on your surgeons directions, you could still be on ice chips only on your birthday or you could be on clear liquids, broth, jello, popsicles, etc.   But, when you do get to enjoy a protein shake check out some of the recipes on the forum and from Premier and Unjury.   Both have some great recipes.  I myself use both of these products and have made many of the protein shakes throughout my post op years.   I have also made protein sf pudding and that has been my go to when I wanted something sweet.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Nik

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/15 3:48 am

Maybe a nice sugar free chocolate ice pop would be approved on your diet and then in future years you could add whipped cream and other goodies or maybe even have a tiny bit of ice cream cake. The best birthday gift you ever receive will have been your surgery. Maybe a day of sleep in between walking to move gas and sip sip sipping. Nice you get to have best nurse in the world care for you.

iloveravens
on 12/16/15 5:11 am
RNY on 08/13/14

My 40th birthday was a week after my surgery.  My family still got a small cake for them (my brother, his wife, my parents, and my kids).  I was not tempted at all.  My daughter made me some sugar free butterscotch pudding, but I didn't eat it.  I had no appetite still and was struggling with the protein shakes.  I still wasn't feeling great at 1 week post op.  

Good luck and Happy Birthday.  Best present ever!  :)

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

hollykim
on 12/16/15 7:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 16, 2015 at 5:34 AM Pacific Time, Jolly_ICU_RN wrote:

My Birthday is the day after surgery. My roommate will be gone and most of my friends due to the Holidays. My family is over 1000 miles away. My dad will be here to take care of me (he's a nurse :) ). Thoughts on what to do--I can't eat cake--obviously. New Tradition?

trust me, you probably won't even care that it is your birthday.

Eggface
on 12/16/15 9:59 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Maybe for every year you've been alive write down something you want to do post-op that you might not have been able to do before... A Birthday Bucket List... then take this next stage in your life to knock each one off the list.

Happy Birthday and Speedy Healing Wishes!

~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Doingrightin2015
on 12/16/15 1:58 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

Let your Birthday be the start of a whole new way of life. I agree with others just being a day post-op you are not going to be wanting anything...just sip sip sip!!!  But make this a start of a new way to celebrate with it not being centered around food!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

kathkeb
on 12/16/15 2:31 pm

Honestly, the day after surgery, I was resting, sleeping and thanking God that I had started this journey.

Maybe shop for a gift for yourself before your surgery, wrap it in pretty paper --- and have something cheerful to open up.

Stick to your plan, which probably is clear liquids on that day, and don't use food or drink to celebrate.  Use the day to celebrate a new beginning and a chance for better help and fitness!!!

Kath

seattledeb
on 12/16/15 5:08 pm

Take an extra pain pill. 

bruindiva92
on 12/16/15 5:42 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

May I suggest purchasing a journal with a beautiful pen to record your journey.  Include your bucket list as someone suggested along with NSV's and pictures along the way.  Record your pre-surgery measurements and keep a record along the way.  

I'm sure you will do well on your journey.

Most Active