Sick and needing to vent...

MelodyMay
on 10/16/15 1:50 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

I hate this. My boyfriends kids got me sick about 2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to focus on my weight loss. I haven't been able to meet my steps per day or seriously focus on my diet. I am still keeping track of everything I eat but am banned from the kitchen so I don't spread this sickness in there. I'm reduced to eating toast and maybe a sandwich here and there. I have no appetite and am really only eating so I can take my medicine.

I'm sitting here staring at my treadmill and it's frustrating. What can I do while I am sick? If I walk too much, I start coughing and seeing stars. I feel like I am failing myself. The scale is still slowly moving in the right direction, but that only reinforces how much more it would be moving if I was actually healthy.

I'm really just venting. I know I need to rest and can't do much about being sick. I am just mad at myself and my stupid immune system.

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/16/15 2:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Is there anything your stomach can handle that's low-carb? Maybe being able to stick to that would help a *****icken broth or yogurt tend to go over well when you're sick!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 10/16/15 2:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM Pacific Time, MelodyMay wrote:

I hate this. My boyfriends kids got me sick about 2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to focus on my weight loss. I haven't been able to meet my steps per day or seriously focus on my diet. I am still keeping track of everything I eat but am banned from the kitchen so I don't spread this sickness in there. I'm reduced to eating toast and maybe a sandwich here and there. I have no appetite and am really only eating so I can take my medicine.

I'm sitting here staring at my treadmill and it's frustrating. What can I do while I am sick? If I walk too much, I start coughing and seeing stars. I feel like I am failing myself. The scale is still slowly moving in the right direction, but that only reinforces how much more it would be moving if I was actually healthy.

I'm really just venting. I know I need to rest and can't do much about being sick. I am just mad at myself and my stupid immune system.

who banned you from the kitchen? And the germs have already been spread all over the house from your step kids.

There is no way ANYONE would ban me from ANY room in my own house and reduce me to eating things I know are not on my plan. No way in hell,nope not gonna happen.

godzilla
on 10/16/15 3:46 pm - Israel
If you're being sick involves coughing, some people advise against any dairy. That being said, the old adage for chicken soup still holds true for many types of being sick.
Drinking is most important to avoid dehydration: if you still do drink protein drinks, my suggestion is to also drink.hot protein drinks per your taste buds or vanilla flavor mixed with chai masala tea. There is a very specific method to a hot protein drink mixed and heated in 20 or 30second intervals in the microwave.
I usually only like my chocolate protein drinks icey cold but in cold weather, i prepare my two scoops in a liter of water and ice cubes in large' thermal' cup, a when the weather gets cold and pour into a mug.
The old adage of chicken soup still holds true but if you are not allowed in the kitchen then have your boyfriend buy instant 10 calories soup packets that you open and add boiled water.
I do that as an added liquid

Disneywisp85
on 10/16/15 4:32 pm

How are you banned from your kitchen? its your house! you should stand up and have say in where you go and what you eat.. i understand not spreading the sickness but, eating crap???? drink ALOT of soup/broth and stop with the bread!!!! you will get through this and get back on your feet and back into routine very soon!! i wish you good luck! get better soon!

Maria27
on 10/16/15 5:55 pm, edited 10/16/15 10:57 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Weight loss is about what you put in your mouth. Exercise is good for you for a host of reasons, but it does little for weight loss. You are going to face many obstacles, but not focusing on what you put in your mouth will no longer be an option after you have surgery. Being sick should make you loose more weight than normal because you are eating less. If you want to be successful, you cannot let yourself make excuses for eating the wrong foods. We are all masters at justifying our bad food choices or we wouldn't have gotten so fat. Accept it and strive to be better. But don't be too hard on yourself. Change doesn't happen overnight. Just focus on making better choices each day.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

MelodyMay
on 10/16/15 10:51 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

I am focusing on staying hydrated and resting. I've almost doubled my daily water requirements since it helps me to feel fuller. I'm limiting the Yogurt because I did read its not great when you have a cold. Not having much of an appetite is helping too. I do need to avoid the bread, that habit has been harder to break than I thought.

And just to be clear, I banned myself from spending too much time in the kitchen. Mainly because I'm going to be the one who has to go in and disinfect everything and I'd like to limit the contamination.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Mary Gee
on 10/17/15 4:22 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Your boyfriends ids got you sick? I guess it doesn't matter who got you sick, you have to take care of yourself.

Banning yourself from the kitchen is not a good idea. But, if you want to limit your kitchen visits, go in once and make up a batch of things to eat -- mix up some tuna or egg salad, make some turkey or ham and cheese roll-ups, make some egg bites. You can then clean up once. How about getting some of those face masks they give out in hospitals and doctors' offices - that would enable you to move about your house without spreading germs. You're not going to get better if you don't take care of yourself. Toast and sandwiches are not going to cut it. If you don't take care of yourself now, are you going to take care of yourself after surgery?

Hope you get better soon!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active