Five weeks post-surgery and traveling to New Orleans. Tips?

Tish6918
on 10/10/15 2:49 pm - Seattle, WA

Hi all,

I could really use your help! In about two weeks (which will be five weeks post-surgery for me) I'm traveling to New Orleans to attend a friend's birthday. He's turning 50 and he takes birthdays seriously. He has not only rented out a mansion for his friends to stay in, but he's promised this birthday weekend will include a pony (I kid you not), a parade, and more. I can't wait!

BUT I'm going to be five weeks post-op, on the soft-food eating stage, and in a strange city. Also, the flight from Seattle to NOLA will be at least 5 hours. I know I should...

1) Bring protein drinks (I like the Premier shakes from Cost****onsume at least one a day to make sure I'm getting in my protein).

2) Bring my insulated water thermos so I can fill it with cold water or crystal light throughout the day to make sure I reach my water goal.

3) Bring flavorless protein powder to sprinkle on food if I need to.

But what am I missing? Any tips for how to handle the long flight? Eating out for pretty much every meal? Snacking while touring the city?

Anything helps. Thanks in advance for your advice!

RNY on 9/17/15. High Weight: 375 / Surgery Weight: 330

MickeyDee
on 10/10/15 4:13 pm

I took some good protein bars, single-servings of cashews, and beef or turkey jerky, and a good book. Bought a bottle of water once I was past the TSA checkpoint.

Reveled in the fact I didn't need a seat belt extender anymore!

Enjoy the flight.

supershopper
on 10/10/15 4:55 pm

Hi and congrats! Can't wait to be in the same situation in the next month or so!

What about plain oatmeal that you can cook there for breakfast and add protein powder to?

Applesauce?

Eating out may be challenging in soft foods though

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/15 5:31 pm

Small cans of tuna or chicken breast also make good snacks. Some protein bars. Laughing cow or other cheese that does not need refrigeration. Just relax on the flight. They will actually let you bring a protein drink or protein water with you for the flight if you tell them you have had surgery recently and that is all you can eat or drink. A notes note would guarantee that if you happen to get a picky person at the check in. Pwdered shake mixes and powdered milk weigh (if you make them with milk) weigh less to lug with you than premade drinks. Enjoy this joyous celebration.

NYMom222
on 10/10/15 7:12 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Did your Doc clear you for flying? Just asking..... don't know if their is a time frame after surgery. Every surgeon is different, but by 5 weeks I was past all my stages, the only thing I was limited on was raw salad, vegetables. Just cut everything up small, chew well and make sure it is moist.... You can also buy Premier at Walmart and Walgreens... not as cheap as Costco, but you can buy it when you get there. You can have 2 per day too to make sure you are getting the protein in...I do that sometimes when traveling. Have fun!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Tish6918
on 10/11/15 10:45 pm - Seattle, WA

He did! Plus, my recovery is going really well. Thank you to you (and everyone else) for the great suggestions by the way. I'm feeling more confident about going on my trip in two weeks!

RNY on 9/17/15. High Weight: 375 / Surgery Weight: 330

iloveravens
on 10/12/15 6:26 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I was in Aruba at 5 weeks post op. I packed the RTD Premier protein in my suitcase. On day one I found a grocery store & bought sugar free popsicles & gallons of water. At restaurants I ate mostly soup/stews and a bite or two of fish. I packed Crystal Light (both individual packets and half gallon packets). It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Have fun!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

seattledeb
on 10/13/15 2:59 am

My only tip is to stay away from my crazy sister in law.

Seattle to New Orleans is a long flight. Get up and walk around and while you are seated pull your toes towards your belly.

Okay..2 tips.

Have fun.

Deb T.

lynnc99
on 10/13/15 3:18 am

Yes, walk around on the flight. Bring something to do (crosswords? learn to knit?) so you won't be tempted to munch.

As for eating out a lot, here is what I did. My son's wedding weekend was when I was 6 weeks post op:

Shrimp ****tail

Grilled light fish - no sauces

Green beans - chew them well

Broiled chicken

Scrambled eggs

Greek yogurt

Stick with protein and well cooked veggies. Get a doggie bag for leftover protein and that can serve as your snack later on.

And because I was still learning portion control - I literally carried a 1/2 cup measuring cup in my bag for a while - no, not to haul out at the table, but just to eyeball and be sure I didn't over do it.

If you use the protein drinks you won't have to worry about powder (I never liked it so the shakes were my preference).

Bottom line: move food around on your plate. Nobody really cares what you are/are not eating. Don't make a production of it and you will quickly see that you can enjoy yourself without centering all the attention on food.

Most Active