revision from sleeve to roux

sarasar7
on 9/14/15 2:16 pm

I'm am planning revisional surgery and have concerns. I'm reading that this type does not guarantee results and this frightens me. I cannot have the ds so says doctors so this is next *******so read you cam have a distal roux which might give better results. anyway I would love to have people share with me their experiences in this area please respond

Kathy S.
on 9/14/15 2:57 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

To reach out to those that have had a revision post this on the:

Revision Weight Loss Surgery Forum

Good Luck!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

sarasar7
on 9/14/15 3:31 pm

thanks for responding, my doctor and I came to a conclusion that this is best for me. I just wanted to see if anyone has been through this and what solidified their decsion

TanyaRN
on 9/14/15 3:11 pm - Palm Bay, FL

why do you need a revision? There is a misconception that regain equals revision. Only a VERY SMALL % of people actually need a revision due to mechanical failure. Most just need to work their tool.

kathkeb
on 9/14/15 5:13 pm

No surgery can guarantee results.

no surgeon should guarantee results.

Kath

rocky513
on 9/14/15 11:32 am, edited 9/14/15 11:32 am - WI

Is the revision for medical reasons like mechanical failure or severe GERD caused by the sleeve?  

There is no guarantee that WLS will take the weight off.  We need to be working hard at making the right food choices and eating proper portions.  If we don't change EVERYTHING about the way we relate to food, we will fail.  Wrangling your food demons is HARD WORK but necessary to be successful.  

If there is nothing wrong with your sleeve, then you can still  use it to lose weight.  Revisions  are  very risky.  You need a VERY experienced surgeon to do it.  Before you go under the knife again try going back  to basics.  Measure your portions ( not more than a cup of food per meal).  Eat protein first, then veggies if there is room.  Limit fruit to 1 serving per day.  Don't drink with your meals.  Drink at least 64 ounces of fluid daily.  Cut out ALL processed foods and starchy carbs like bread,pasta, crackers, rice, potatoes, sugar, etc.

You can do this!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

MsBatt
on 9/15/15 6:41 pm

A couple of questions. WHY, specifically, can't you have a DS? What sort of results have you had with your Sleeve? Insufficient loss? Regain? Health issues?

The distal RNY does cause more malabsorption than the proximal (the most commonly done) RNY, but NO form of WLs guarantees anything.

sarasar7
on 9/24/15 8:21 pm

hi dr has approved ds, now we must resubmit it to insurance. I hope you will befriend me and guide me. thanks and waiting to hear from you. sara

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/25/15 8:53 pm

I think you need a second opinion, from a surgeon that actually can do RNY and DS. If the problem is inadequate weight loss, then know now that RNY and sleeve have about the same results at 5 years out. DS has better results for weight loss, maintenance, and resolution of co-morbs, so make sure the surgeon hasn't said it's not because they actually can't perform it. I see that ALL the time - sadly common, and unfair to the patient because you deserve what's best for you, not easiest for a surgeon. 

Also, you already HAVE half of the DS now with your sleeved stomach! I'd get a more effective surgery with less being cut and go with the DS.

sarasar7
on 9/25/15 9:55 pm

thank you so much saw my dr Thursday and he has agreed to do the ds. please continue to share your advice with me. thanks again sara

Most Active