Maintenance

KimCruea
on 8/23/15 12:23 pm

Hello WLS gurus.  I am now 15 months out and have lost over 145 lbs from my WLS and a total of 170 lbs in all. Doctor's now tell me to STOP and begin maintenance.. could use some suggestions on that. I fear at this current means, I will continue to lose without trying. Any suggestions or tips?

Kimberley. 

Check my BEFORE and AFTER... :D

Kathy S.
on 8/23/15 12:25 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Kim,

You look amazing! Congratulations on a job well done.  When I was told to stop losing, they told me to increase my calories by 500 a week and see if the weight stopped.  If it did not increase my cals another 500.  Of course continuing to eat healthy and all the foods that got you to goal.  Keep us posted on how you are doing!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

KimCruea
on 8/23/15 12:33 pm

Thank you for your support. I plan to make this my new life, so beign VERY mindful of the lifestyle I am now committed to. 

White Dove
on 8/23/15 6:10 am, edited 8/23/15 6:10 am - Warren, OH

The truth is that most of us old time vets do not believe in starting maintenance until about year three.  You will still have some malabsorption for a while.  If you get used to more calories now, then it will be harder as the malabsorption goes away.

For me it was at 30 months that I started gaining a pound a week with no change in diet or exercise.  Then I had to cut calories to lose the weight that was coming back.

If you stay on your plan you will just stop losing when your body is ready.  If you look too skinny be assured that things will balance out again 

My surgeon has us go 10, 20 or even 30 pounds under his goal weight during the honeymoon period.  As long as BMI is not under 18 there is nothing to worry about. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nancy
on 8/23/15 5:56 pm - Kasson, MN

You will have to maintain your weight.... I am over 10 years out and I have to watch from losing to much weight still.......  When I Got to thin I did not feel good, to boney!  I had to gain back 20lbs, and feeling full all the time was not fun, it became a chore!  I still try and get all my protein and stuff in..... I feel u start maintaince now that u will be training your habits to be good,  so u are successful with your new tool!   I have seen a lot of people avoid maintaining themselves and learning what keeps them at a healthy weight, because they go back to old habits!   Once u get it down u are setting yourself up for success😜

lynnc99
on 8/23/15 7:02 pm

I gave no thought to maintenance until I was at least 2 years out. The truth is, I saw many in my support group who jumped aboard the regain train between year 2 and year 3. This scared me to death.

And I will be honest - no intention to gossip, so please understand my motivation here is only to be helpful - almost all of those women who started regain at that point were unable/unwilling/just didn't turn the train around. Quite a number are close to where they were when they started. It saddens me greatly to see this. 

For me, I have been pretty straight and narrow...until Jan 2014 (4 1/2 years out) when my mom stayed with us for several months. We bought her a lot of treats....and guess what? Yeah, I jumped all over the treats and by late 2014 had regained 25 lbs. 

I am working on that 25 lbs now and have had success - slow success, but success none the less. Actually, I am living away from home on an extended work assignment so for me, maintaining is WINNING since I"m in a hotel and eat out at least once a day. 

Anyway, I agree that your body will adjust and the loss will slow down of its own accord - or that's been the case for most of us. Be aware that your body adjusts and malabsorption becomes less and less in play....which puts us more into "maintenance" mode right there.

Also, if you do choose to add calories, bear in mind that 500 cal a week as Kathy recommended breaks down to very little added food per day. So easy to overdo it....So I just urge you to be very cautious at this stage of the game. 

NYMom222
on 1/11/16 5:20 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Doc always says your body will stop losing weight when it is ready. Very few people get underweight permanently. I have read on these board numerous times how a lot people like to get under 'goal' so there is a little cushion when rebound happens.

Good Luck figuring this out. It is an interesting journey...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active