Body self-image...

jamrodriguez
on 8/20/15 5:51 pm

It can be weird when everyone around you starts telling you how much smaller you look, when you haven't really started to see it yourself. Sure, I have noticed my clothes fit better, and some are too big to wear, but as far as seeing it in the mirror, or feeling different in my physical space... not so much. Today as I was opening my store, I caught my reflection and for the first time I actually saw a smaller person than I was used to looking back at me. It was a really strange moment. When did you start noticing your reflection changing?

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/15 6:08 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

This is my life now, and I have no idea when (or if) I'll start seeing a change in my reflection. I work in healthcare in a department where we're very open about our own medical issues, and despite all the comments I get from coworkers, I don't see myself any smaller in the mirror. I do when I put my progress pictures side-by-side. I also notice little isolated things, like my collarbones and hip bones and of course my clothes, but I still can't see the forest for the trees. A few weeks ago I had an off-site training for work. I got in an elevator, almost bumped into someone, and said "excuse me" before realizing I was alone in an elevator with mirrored walls.  

Bonroxie19
on 8/20/15 7:50 pm

lol, love that story....

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Dan1962
on 8/21/15 6:16 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I noticed it around 4 months out, I caught myself doing a double take in the mirror above my fireplace.  My face was so thin.  My wife says I have body dysmorphia, but I think its getting better.  She would hand me a medium and I would put it on and say my gut is huge in this.  She would take a picture and show me.....she was right, I looked great.....I hate it when she's right, unless it relates to me looking great :)

Maria27
on 8/20/15 8:25 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

It is really hard to see the difference in mirrors. Taking a photo and comparing it to a before photo is the best way.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

roxytrim
on 8/21/15 5:35 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Very funny elevator story - catching your own reflection when you don't expect it does throw you on your heels.  You all reminded me, at my first year out I'd be walking by a store window and think where is that woman....I don't see her near me...oh...duh 

You'll get used to it.  I think the best part is that once you get to a certain weight nobody on the street notices you because you just blend in with all the regular weight people.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/15 7:06 am
RNY on 05/04/15

My psychologist says it takes longer the longer you've been overweight, too. Someone who was thin through school and put on weight in adulthood will probably "see themselves" as thin again long before someone who's been obese since childhood. For me, I was officially overweight at about age 6 and went on my first diet at 9, so it might take awhile because I literally don't know myself as a normal size.

jamrodriguez
on 8/21/15 11:27 am

Same here, I've been overweight since childhood and "morbidly obese" since about 11 or 12. 

C H
on 8/21/15 8:30 am

The other day, actually. I also saw my reflection lobby window and had to go back to make sure that it's actually me that I'm seeing lol, even when shopping I go straight to the 3X and have to remind myself I no longer fit in them, it's so strange it's like my mind won't let me accept it. 

crystal M.
on 8/21/15 9:08 am - Joliet, IL

Yes.  I think that happens to all of us.  Just walking down the street or in the mall and you catch a glimpse of a thin person in the window and you realize it's you!!!  That can't be you!!!  But yes it is....and that is the first time you really feel "thin". 

Because you are now seeing yourself for the first time as the world is seeing you.  When you just walk up to a mirror and look, if you are like me, you still see that "fat" girl looking back. 

Most Active