Terrified of blood clots

Lissa_ND
on 7/25/15 8:42 pm
VSG on 09/02/15

I have gone through all the hoops, emotional roller coasters, and currently have my papers submitted for approval. I have to say I feel super blessed to have this opportunity and I'm so excited to have the surgery. However all along, I have been afraid of blood clots. To the point I was even trying to talk myself out of having surgery because of the risk. I have a lot of circulation problems in my feet and ankles and I'm terrified! Has anyone else been more afraid of clots then anything else? I feel ridiculous!

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

mike324-190
on 7/25/15 10:26 pm
RNY on 12/30/14

Have you discussed this with your Dr? Are you taking anticoagulants? They bridged me starting at about a week before surgery until a few days after, to keep my INR numbers where they needed to be.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/25/15 10:58 pm - OH

If you have a history of circulatory problems, you need to make sure your surgeon is aware of it (and has access to any medical documentation if the issues are severe) so they can take any special precautions necessary.  What those precautions owuld be depends on what your specific issues are.

Even people who have significant histories of DVTs and PEs have surgery with no issues, though, when the proper precautions are taken, so there is no reason to get yourself stressed out.

In general, because people who are obese are at higher risk for post-op blood clots, even those without any history of clots will be told to get up and walk frequently (the very best way to prevent clots as well as the best way to help dissipate gas) as soon as the anesthesia sufficiently wears off (they will likely have a nurse or nursing assistant walk with you to steady you in order to get you up and walking as soon as possible). Some surgeons also prescribe short acting anti-coagulant injections (e.g., Heparin or Lovenox) for a certain number of days post-op for all pateints just as a precaution.

For those with a history of significant circulatory problems (like me... I have a history of a number of DVTs), they may also want you to wear SCDs (compression sleeves) on your lower legs as soon as you come out of surgery and whenever you are not up walking until you leave the hospital.  These are inflatable sleeves that are connected to a motor and they inflate and deflate on a continuous basis in order to compress your veins and keep the blood moving. People with a history of clots will also likely be asked to get up and walk more frequently when they leave the hospital (I was supposed to get up and walk for 5-10 minutes every hour) even though I have full leg SCDs at home that I have used for years.

If your surgeon knows what your issues are, (s)he will take any needed precautions.  Even with the standard precaustions, the incidents of blood clots are low.  They just emphasize the possibility of a clot because a clot can potentially be very serious (although even some who do develop clots develop them in superficial veins... Which is not nearly as serious as in deep veins).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lissa_ND
on 7/26/15 8:06 am
VSG on 09/02/15

Thank you so much for your long reply and taking so much time to help ease my nerves. I see you post a lot on these forums and always answering questions. I personally appreciate it, and feel its people like you that help make these forums so helpful.

Age 37 starting weight 301lbs, 5'6. VSG and Gallbladder removal September 2nd 2015

MickeyDee
on 7/26/15 1:00 am

Consult with your surgeon;  he wants you to have a successful outcome just as much, if not more, than you do.  

Lissa_ND
on 7/26/15 8:03 am
VSG on 09/02/15

Thanks so much for the replies! I was just having a freak out moment last night. I will definitely make a point of speaking with my surgeon about my worries. Will look into getting SCDs also.

Pianolover
on 7/26/15 8:02 pm

Don't worry yourself too much about it. Medical professionals know the risk of blood clots that come with surgery. It is a common standard of care for surgical patients to receive lovenox injections and to always have SCD's on while in bed.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Cardamom
on 7/26/15 8:36 pm
with

I was given a number of heparin shots during my 3 days in the hospital. In addition to walking, They also recommended I wear compression socks on my flight home and as needed. Getting them on was quite the challenge (kudos to my husband!) but I do think they helped the circulation. 

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

AmyDee123
on 7/26/15 9:10 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I have had a PE after the birth of my daughter and have been scared every time I go into the hospital.   But the leg massages are used on everyone.   And most doctors have obese patients on lovenox after surgery.   Docs tale precautions.   But discuss it heavily with your doctor before hand so you are sure. 

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Most Active