Been there done that.

hyder1ab
on 7/9/15 4:50 am
RNY on 05/06/15

Funny thing is, my belly and legs don't really bother me, I would easily just use spanx. But, my arms just annoy the heck out of me. Obviously I don't know what my stomach will look like, but, I'm worried the excess skin will be an issue with my c-section scar. My sister had 3 c-sections and she ended up with a tummy tuck bc her excess skin kept pulling her incision scar open. She just had extra skin from child birth not wls. I do worry I might end up in the same boat.

Kathyjs
on 7/8/15 9:00 am

So true. I look normal but know even after all these years, I have to follow the rules. There is NOTHING easy about WLS 

hyder1ab
on 7/8/15 9:12 am
RNY on 05/06/15

I difinitely see this as a lifelong battle. I want to be prepared as possible.

crystal M.
on 7/8/15 9:25 am - Joliet, IL

I have exercised and it does not help at all with the lose skin.  Not with density or amount....it is always the same.  I joke that under all this skin I am well toned. 

hyder1ab
on 7/8/15 9:46 am
RNY on 05/06/15

My arms have always been my worst feature. I was hoping excercise coupled with my age (31) would help with the skin. I'm prepared to have surgery but, was hoping there was something I could do to help.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/8/15 6:52 pm - OH

No, exercise does NOTHING for skin. Period. All it can do (and even this is minimal) is build a small amount of muscle under it and give you better tone to the muscle under the skin.  Those buff muscles will still be covered by wrinkly, floppy skin, though.

In this cases it is not a matter of what people's experiences ars, it is a matter of science.  Some people will tell you that they are  certain that some type of exercise helped them not have excess skin (or to minimize it) but the problem -- and the same thing applies with people who claim that a certain product kept them from losing hair post-op -- is that they don't know how much excess skin (or hair loss) they would have had WITHOUT the exercise or magic potion.

Science says exercise does not do anything for skin and that telogen effluvium is not preventable.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/8/15 7:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

As far as hair loss and excess skin, I am in the control group. I lost no hair at all, and did nothing to try and prevent it. No biotin, no special shampoos or whatever. I wash my hair with the same bar of soap I use to wash everything else. No hair loss.

I do have some excess skin, but relatively little, especially considering how much weight I lost. I used no creams, lotions, exercise, or anything else.

I have nothing to point to for these things but luck. I wish I could endorse a product and get royalties, but I can't.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sor09
on 7/8/15 7:23 pm

Me too. I just made sure I got my vitamins and the required protein everyday. No stretch marks on my arms after loosing 175+ pounds. The skin recessed nicely and I got gams cuts. Not trying to recapture my teen years either. Data reads, diet, muscle tone, your age, and genes, plus how long and how much extra fat tissue will dictate your over all skin recess. The younger the better. For me, other areas not so nice but going from a 28-30 to zero... it is what it is.

hyder1ab
on 7/9/15 4:54 am
RNY on 05/06/15

I am in the excessive hair loss group, but I also gave birth 7 months ago. So, it could be from the baby or the surgery. I didn't really think there is a miracle cream or pill to help with skin. But, I wanted some experienced opinions on what people had found to be helpful to them. 

hollykim
on 7/8/15 11:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 8, 2015 at 8:01 AM Pacific Time, hyder1ab wrote:

I have a few questions for those further along in their journey. I have lost 73 lbs, 43 since surgery and I want to make sure I'm setting myself up for success.

1) For those who have backslid, is there something you wish you would have done in the beginning that you feel would have helped you in the long run? Do you should have just cut certain foods out for good?

2) For those with excess skin, did you exercise or do you feel that exercising would have helped?

Any other insights would be appreciated.

I would have NEVER let carbs back into my eating plan. EVER. There is no moderation with them for me.

Most Active