When you start "under growing" your clothes.

kaniky
on 6/30/15 6:48 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I'm on a semi-confined budget and am now coming into a nice dilemma.  I have lost 25 pounds and the pants I wear for work are getting droopy and saggy.  They're kind of okay because I wear long shirts over them.  But it's not going to be too much longer and I don't think they're going to work.  

I went shopping in my closet last night and found pants in the next smaller size and some one size smaller than that.  But the next ones are still snug.  Doable but I'm not sure how comfortable.  I really don't want to spend money on pants that aren't going to be around long.  So, if you were me, would you tough it out another ten pounds in the bigger pants and then try the smaller ones or bite the bullet and spend money for new ones?

What did you do on your amazing weight loss journey?

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

kbmerritt84
on 6/30/15 7:23 am
with

So for pants, the only real option is a belt.  But you have more options for skirts.  If you have long skirts that are getting too small, you could pull them up over the bust like a strapless dress, belt at the waist and put a shrug on over your shoulders. 

One thing I've found that is helpful is also Facebook.   Facebook has pages for your area online yard sales.  I put out a post that I am having surgery and will need decreasing sizes of clothes. People are really willing to help you out.  I have received lots of clothes in varying sizes (some new with tags) for next to nothing!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/30/15 7:27 am

Thrift stores and salvation army. 

I would take $10-20, and for that - on days they had sale - I would end up with a lots of clothes..

And the new - flowing  lose fit styles that are here now for dresses and pants - are really forgiving...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kaniky
on 6/30/15 7:48 am
RNY on 05/18/15
On June 30, 2015 at 7:27 AM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

Thrift stores and salvation army. 

I would take $10-20, and for that - on days they had sale - I would end up with a lots of clothes..

And the new - flowing  lose fit styles that are here now for dresses and pants - are really forgiving...

Do the thrift/goodwill/salvation army stores really carry very much "big girl" stuff?

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/30/15 7:53 am

the only way to know - is to check it regularly... My sister is 2X -3X and I can find a lot of stuff for her..

Plus - it was great for me to buy some very cheap ($1.00 or less each) smaller sizes of stuff that I knew I may like.  

I still love to shop there...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lizabethntx
on 6/30/15 11:25 am

I made the thrift store my best friend.  I bought a pair of Talbot's Capri's for 75 cents. Suits for $8.00

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/30/15 11:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I went to our local consignment shop a LOT! Ours has a decent plus-size section, certainly enough for one or two pairs of pants every size or two. Plus they were always happy to take in larger clothes, so I ended up paying very little out of pocket because I ended up with so much trade credit!

I also did a fair bit of shopping at Old Navy, they tend to have really good online sales. I found a style of pants that fit, and one style of knit top I liked, and I could just buy one size down as I needed them. I don't think I've ever placed an order without a 30% off coupon, so I would usually order two sizes' worth of smaller clothes to hit $50 and free shipping. (Then took them to the consignment shop when I outgrew them!)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

yesican2
on 6/30/15 11:38 am

Depending on the thrift store, the plus sized clothes are separate from the misses section.  The frustrating ones are wear everything is mixed together.

Other than that, I would try any kind of clothing outlet, or like a previous poster said, a facebook group for clothing exchange.  I believe my surgeon's office even has a clothing exchange for the patients.

Valerie G.
on 6/30/15 1:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had a great system with the consignment and thrift stores in three different affluent towns.  It's amazing what the wealthy discard, and I'm happy to scoop it up for a song.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kathkeb
on 6/30/15 5:19 pm

I would hang on to what you have now (maybe doubling over the waistband will help) for 5 - 10 more pounds --- and by then, the next smaller size should work.

I shop at Kohl's a lot -- I can always get 15% and sometimes 20% or 30% coupons --- and their sales are good --- so, I can grab up a pair of black slacks for 20.00 or less once discounts are applied.  Honestly, even Walmart has basic black dress slacks for 20.00 or less --- and if you figure .50 a day for a month -- you can get a pair of pants every 20 pounds you lose.

I sew --- so I was able to alter some of my blouses by taking darts in the front and back -- to extend their wear.

Some people are able to sell their larger clothes to make money to buy new, smaller clothes --- but I have never spent very much on clothes --- so, as I outgrew them, I gave them away (either in a clothing swap at my bariatric support group -- or Goodwill).

My (strong) opinion, is that as soon as you have out grown a size ---- and have something usable to wear --- get rid of the 'too big' clothes -- you do not want to have any 'permission' to grow back into bigger clothes.  I kept 1 pair of size 28 jeans as a reminder -- everything else went.

Kath

Most Active