5 years out from Lap Band - considering revision

windyridge4mom
on 6/26/15 9:56 pm

Hi All-  Just found this board and seems great.  I had a lap band done 5 years ago.  Initially lost 80# but have gained 50# back.  Band has slipped and just isn't working well for me any longer.   I was considering converting to a VGS by going to Dr. Garcia in Tiajuana.  After submitting my medical form, he suggested the bypass surgery.  I already suffer from acid reflux but it is controlled ok with omeprazole as long as I don't eat too much or too late.

I had a severe hiatal hernia that was repaired, but taken down to add the lap band - was supposed to "fix" the problem.  

I am very reluctant to go with full bypass after doing additional research.  Any advice would be terrific.  I would like to lose 120# total (goal would be 140#).

Thanks!

Kathy S.
on 6/27/15 10:48 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Windy, 

Welcome to OH!  Try posting this on the  LAP-BAND Forum and  Revision Weight Loss Surgery Forum for more responses.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Hislady
on 6/27/15 4:20 pm - Vancouver, WA

If you already have heartburn issues then the RNY is really the only safe option because the sleeve tends to cause it to worsen. However if it is the hernia causing the GERD then repairing that may make it possible to go with the sleeve. This is a case where you should find a good revision surgeon who will know which is the best way to go. You also need to be very careful in choosing surgeons in Tijuana because while there are some good ones there are also alot of really shady ones who will not be able to do a decent revision.

Nic M
on 6/28/15 9:51 am

I will share with you what was told to me by a revision surgeon. In order for the VSG to work, it needs to be a certain size. If you already have reflux, the sleeve would need to be made bigger, thereby rendering it less effective. Since it works on restriction, a larger sized sleeve would most likely not give the results you'd want.

However, in conjunction with the Duodenal Switch, where there is malabsorption, the sleeve can be made larger. Reflux might not be an issue... but there's no guarantee, either. It's one of those, "Wait and see" things. So, I suppose you would need to assess the risk versus the reward in a situation like that.

If you have a surgeon you trust, I'd take the advice he is offering. But I'd also do every bit of research possible before undergoing surgery. It sounds like you've done research already. But I'd talk to as many people *****vised from the band to the RnY as I could, too. Find out all the possible long term consequences. Best of luck to you. I wish you the best. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Ashley in Belgium
on 6/28/15 2:15 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I am extremely happy with my revision to RNY and highly recommend it.  I had similar issues and they are completely resolved.  I lost all my excess weight and then some.  The malabsorption was key for me as I knew restriction alone obviously wasn't enough for me to successfully get to goal and stay there.  

Good luck with whatever you chose!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active