Opti-fast vs. Other Protein Drinks

Ready2goNOW
on 6/11/15 2:30 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am still pre-op until September, but since joining here a few months ago I have read a lot about different pre-op diets. They seem to vary a great deal!

Is this just based on the preference of the surgeon or is their 'scientific' data to back it up? My understanding is the pre-op diet is to assist in shrinking the liver, weight loss & acclimation to your new way of eating.

If my understanding is correct why would some patients be required to take something like Opti-fast if they have already been complying w/after surgery dietary requirements  & have lost a substantial amount of weight pre-op?

Opti-fast appears to be one of the most expensive drinks required. I drink a protein drink that I would prefer over this. I am just suspicious in this day & age if that is related to doctor/sales rep relationships rather than in the best interest of the patient...or if I am just being stubborn!

Thanks for any input.

Kathy

Laura in Texas
on 6/11/15 2:37 pm

I do think it has to do with the doctor/sales rep relationship. I had to buy bariatric advantage shakes from my surgeon for my pre-op diet. I had already bought them before I realized they were HORRIBLE!! He wanted me to drink them post-op and I refused. He then said I could drink Slim Fast low carb shakes instead (not sure they even make them anymore- now in a pinch I drink slim fast high protein shakes).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/11/15 2:40 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's the doctor/sales rep scenario, I'm afraid.  I was forced to buy a bunch of horrible products for my pre-op diet and some even worse tasting vitamins.  It was non-negotiable and not cheap.  The multivitamins from Bariatric Advantage grossed me out.  When I finished my supply, I switched to another brand.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Laura in Texas
on 6/11/15 3:34 pm

Yep. I did feel like I had to play the game until after my surgery then stood my ground and refused to buy any more of their crap.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

boxtop2006
on 6/11/15 7:56 am, edited 6/11/15 7:57 am
RNY on 03/24/15

My doc gave me guidelines for my protein shakes but highly suggested the Premium brand because the protein, calorie, sugars/carbs ratio is better than other brands.  I had already been using this brand so I stuck with it.  I like them them, my favorite is the strawberry and sometimes I add a little sugar/calorie free strawberry powder mix to give it that extra boost. Last night I didn't want strawberry so I added a chocolate sugar/calorie free powder and it ended up tasting like a chocolate malt.  The store I bought the packets from no longer carries them so I'm not sure what I will do to switch it up a little when my packets are gone, good thing I have three boxes (ea) left and only use them occasionally when I want a little change. 

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/11/15 5:21 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

The Cleveland Clinic recommends certain brands: Premier Protein for RTD, Nectar and Unjury for mixes -- but as long as the shakes are under 200 calories, 13 grams of carbs and 18 grams of protein or more -- they are fine for the pre-op diet.  The only ones they absolutely said "no" to were Carnation Instant Breakfast, Atkins and Slim Fast.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Ready2goNOW
on 6/12/15 6:15 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

I was inclined to think it was the doctor/sales rep relationship, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being close-minded. The Cleveland Clinic info was interesting...I wonder if my surgeon would be offended if I brought it to his attention? (LOL)

I don't know yet how mandatory doing the Opti-fast is since I am not there yet, but it is in our booklet that our surgeon appt. before surgery included purchasing Opti-fast to the tune of almost $400! Ugh! I could so use that money on stocking my pantry w/ good food!

We'll see how this goes!

Thanks again!

Kathy

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/12/15 6:31 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I know that I've read in some posts from my Canadian friends that they were required to use Opti.  Frankly, if you like your surgeon and he/she requires it -- I'd just jump through the hoop even though it would irritate me!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

helionoftroy
on 6/12/15 6:33 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

Don't let them force you to buy Opti-fast. You are much better off eating whole food. Have you ever looked at the ingredients list for those "weight loss products"? Nothing but crap.

killinmesmalls77
on 6/12/15 7:01 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

My program didn't require any special drinks, powders, or vitamins before or after surgery. I was given the task of losing 10 pounds before moving to the next step in being approved for surgery.  The day before surgery was the only day that I needed to have an all liquid diet. 

If you have to buy the products directly through the clinic, then I would suspect it has to do with their supplier relationships, getting kick-backs, or making a profit on jacking up the prices.  

Could you tell them that you prefer a different brand and would rather go that route? 

Good Luck!! 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

Most Active