Anyone have a Hiatal Hernia Repair that ended up being too tight?

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 4/23/15 1:14 am
RNY on 03/11/15

If so, what were your symptoms and what was done to resolve it?

I keep feeling like most solid/dense foods get stuck in the bottom of my throat after only a few small bites even though I am eating slow and chewing really well.  It is in the same general area where I used to feel the acid reflux prior to surgery.  Sometimes the “lump/burning” feeling stays there for a half an hour or so.  As soon as the feeling starts, I have to stop eating.  Sometimes it goes away on its own and other times I get the foamies and have to go throw up to relieve the pressure and feel better.  I suspect my hiatal hernia repair might be a little too tight…?

rocky513
on 4/23/15 4:02 am - WI

It does sound like you are  not chewing your food enough or you are taking bites that a are too big.  Foamies are usually from eating too much, too fast, or not chewing well.  I don't think your hiatal hernia repair is the problem.  Maybe you are developing a stricture.  I would call your surgeon.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Kathyjs
on 4/24/15 2:37 am

I had hiatal surgery same time as my open RNY. I know exactly what you are feeling, need to eat slower. I also get foamies now and then . I don't know how it will be for you but I can not throw up. Thank goodness have not had the flu since surgery 12 years ago

Most Active