Incision question

PrayMore
on 1/14/15 11:11 am

So, I have one tiny incision that isn't healing well. The others are perfect.  I'm about five weeks from surgery. My surgeon has seen me twice to check it out. At the second visit, he cut away the tiny knots inside the incision that weren't dissolving. The tiniest little hole is still there after six days. It was never infected, says my doc. The knots were just aggravating it. I'm following all instructions - washing, neosporin, band-aids. Still, the tiny slit is still there with some new scabbing underneath. My doc put this into context for me, calling it 'like a pimple.' So, I don't want to make a big deal about it and go see him every week for it! I just want to give it more time. But I can't shake the feeling that it won't close! Like I'll have a tiny hole there! Maybe I just need more glue? (lol! I have no idea!)

I searched 'incision' on OH and saw some very old posts. Just thought I'd throw this out there to my OH friends to see if anyone had a similar issue more recently and how long it took to heal. My surgeon said at least a week to close up, but I just don't know what to think! Doesn't look like it will close! Please advise!

Thanks for your help, peeps!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Chilipepper
on 1/14/15 11:48 am

Relax, stop obsessing. It will heal. Keep it clean and let the air get to it.  This is very common 

congrats on your surgery!!!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

angelstwo
on 1/14/15 7:19 pm
VSG on 10/15/14

PrayMore:

Chilipepper is right relax it will heal.  I had one of the 5 mm incisions completely open after my surgery in October 2014.  It looked like someone took a hole punch to my skin down to the muscle (cool but gross at the same time).  It took 5 weeks for mine to heal from the inside out (partly my fault since I did not bring it to my surgeons attention immediately). With your wound sounding much smaller it will probably take much less time.  I was told that once the new "flesh" has grown up to near the skin to let the incision scab over and finish healing that way.  Now my incision is completely healed and the scar is even with the rest of my skin just the same as my other surgical scars. 

Hope this helps you.  Wishing you well.

Robin

Poodlemac
on 1/14/15 7:45 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

My dermatologist said to keep them moisturized and they'll heal right up. I had a weird little glob of glue work itself out a couple of weeks ago. Left a hole for about a day. I'm using Mederma (when I remember)!  They're "getting there!"  Not to worry!

PrayMore
on 1/14/15 9:39 pm

Thank you! I guess it needs more time. It just seems like the top layer is healed around the edges, like it will remain a little hole. I'm going to be patient and wait. I have a Mederma question - when can I start using that on my other scars? Thanks for all of your help!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Pokemom
on 1/14/15 9:52 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I have not had this problem with my WLS, but when I had a hysterectomy 14 mos ago, I had a similar problem.  My body did not like the dissolving sutures...it formed an infection/capsule around them instead of allowing them to dissolve.  So, a little like a large pimple.  

The doctor pulled out the sutures and then the healing began. It just takes time.  But it was scary, and like a physical reminder of the fear and pain of the road i had travelled to get to the surgery.  But it did get better! I am sure if you follow your doctor's instructions, all will be well.

TheNewT
on 1/14/15 10:01 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

A couple of areas on me took longer to heal. They were never infected. The one by the bra line and the 2 by the belly button just wouldn't close. I just kept them clean and instead of band-aids, I used gauze. The gauze kept them dry while they were healing. As long as you are NOT infected, just relax and time will heal.

PrayMore
on 1/14/15 10:52 pm

I love the gauze idea. I need to get some. I think it would help me. Even though I have latex-free band-aids, my skin is still sensitive to them. The area with the sticky strips is rashy. Maybe that's not helping my incision if these irritate me. THANK YOU so much for making me feel like this will be OK! 

:) 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

apkat
on 1/15/15 1:00 am
RNY on 12/12/14

Oh my gosh...are you me!?  This feels like one of those Discover commercials.  I have an almost identical spot and the exact same problem with the bandages!  And I'm 5 weeks out...haha.  I'm just keeping it clean and dry and hoping for the best.  It is very hard not to pick at the little scab that has just appeared, lol.

TheNewT
on 1/15/15 1:07 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I have a latex allergy also. Those latex-free strips still irritated me. I had to restrain my hands from doing some serious scratching while it was trying to heal. It wasn't the incision that was itchy, but the skin around it. And then, my crazy behind forgot to use latex-free band-aids when I got home. I wanted to kick my own behind over that one. LOL. Switching to gauze was an awesome move. Good luck to ya!

Most Active