Bariatric Multi-vitamins (UGH)

Phat_girl_38
on 11/11/14 2:05 am
VSG on 10/13/14

Okay, I'm 4 weeks and one day post op and I want to see if anyone has had this issue I am having. When I came home from the hospital I ate the chewable bariatric multi-vitamins suggested by my NUT.  After a couple of weeks I was dreading the after taste, so my NUT told me they had a new bariatric multi-vitamin non-chewable but you had to take it 3 times/day instead of 2.  I figured this was a great solution, I hadn't been nauseated or sick through any of this process and I've had no problems taking my regular meds. The first time I took one it was early in the morning and I took it with my other 2 medications, it didn't sit well at all and I got sick. So the next time I took it, I thought well, I will try it after I eat - I thought that would fix the problem - I was WRONG. Here I am at work (be the way, most people don't know I had WLS) I take my multi-vitamin with my lunch and in the midst of lunch - uh oh, here it comes back up! I guess the conclusion is my stomach just doesn't tolerate that type of multi-vitamin and I need to stick with chewable.  My question is what about the gummi vitamins?  I bought some of the 1/day gummi's and I can eat them with no problem.  I am taking them twice a day because I figured it would be the same as the bariatric multi-vitamin and should be taking 2/day for bariatric WLS patients??? Do you think these gummi's will suffice?

Phat_Girl_38  / HW: 319 (Pre-op Wt: 292) SW: 282  GW: 165  Surgery Date: 10/13/2014

StephK10
on 11/11/14 3:00 am

My NUT says gummy vitamins are not sufficient, unfortunately.  I'd check with yours!

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

Chilipepper
on 11/11/14 3:31 am

They will suffice if you are a six yr old child but you are a post op bariatric patient adult. Vitamins are part of the deal.  If you don't like them, try something else Bariatric advantage, Bariatric Fusion Celebrate and a few others. 

Ps..Flintstones won't work either 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Phat_girl_38
on 11/11/14 4:28 am
VSG on 10/13/14

Well, I understand the idea of 'gummies' are child like anyway - but these were adult gummy multi-vitamins.  I realize that I cannot take Flintstone chewable vitamins for children, wasn't even a thought for me. I was taking the Celebrate Vitamins (the ones I didn't tolerate), I'll check a few of the other ones you mentioned. Thanks!

Phat_Girl_38  / HW: 319 (Pre-op Wt: 292) SW: 282  GW: 165  Surgery Date: 10/13/2014

HLen
on 11/11/14 11:15 am
RNY on 07/11/14

The Celebrate were awful after a few weeks of taking them, my NUT said a generic one-a-day was good as long as it had 100%iron.  I take 2 a half hour after breakfast, it doesn't come up, but sometimes it and my calcium will give me a sour feel for a few mins.  Ask your Dr/Nut for another alternative. 

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/11/14 11:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Gummies are missing some things, so over the long run you can run into problems. But you don't need bariatric vitamins, or chewables. After a while most of us end up taking regular tablets, usually a generic version of Centrum.

Learning to read labels is crucial to long term success. Look at the labels of the two bariatric vitamins closely, and compare them to the gummies. See which vitamins and minerals are absent in the gummies. Note also which things are at less than 100% in the gummies.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Phat_girl_38
on 11/11/14 11:19 pm
VSG on 10/13/14

Thank you for your response! I am reading the labels closely now.  Trying to find a way to live between all of these new life modifications is certainly a big part of the challenges! It is nice to know there are others out there who are willing to offer helpful advice when needed.  Have a fabulous day!

poet_kelly
on 11/11/14 12:53 pm - OH

The gummies are missing a LOT of important nutrients.  They aren't good at all.  Make sure you use a multi with 100% of the RDA of most things in it, including all the B vitamins and minerals like zinc, copper and selenium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/14 3:18 pm - TP. HCM, Vietnam

Yes I think so

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/11/14 6:46 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

My program highly discouraged the use of gummy vitamins -- 

what flavor chewable celebrate were you using?  Pineapple-strawberry is disgusting but I love the grape flavor?  They also have a soft chewy that's delicious.  If you call them, their customer service is fabulous. They'd probably be willing to send some samples?  614 212-5164

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active