I have a cold.

Poodlemac
on 11/9/14 2:42 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Anyone have a miracle cure, PLEASE?  I'm desperate. 

Poodlemac
on 11/9/14 3:21 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I was sure hoping for someone to know of something that worked more efficiently post surgery. Waaa :-((

Racewalker48
on 11/9/14 10:07 am
RNY on 02/17/14

My best suggestions is to not over medicate.  If you have nasal congestion, saline nasal spray is actually quite effective. I don't do anything different post surgery that I did pre surgery.  If I have nasal congestion, I run my humidifier in my bedroom at night, and use saline nasal spray.  I will use a nasal decongestant if I needed like Afrin, but not for more than 3 days and it can cause rebound congestion.  I also make sure i am getting lot of fluids.  I use acetaminophen if I have a headache/body aches.  

Poodlemac
on 11/9/14 12:19 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Thank you so much. Sounds like my usual cold protocol. I'm just so frustrated as I seem to get 2-3 colds a year lately and I was feeling so good. Boo. Guess I was hoping quick cold recovery was one of the secret perks of WLS. 

poet_kelly
on 11/9/14 3:32 am - OH

I don't think there is a miracle cure.  You can use any cold medicine that doesn't contain NSAIDS.  Read the ingredients and ask the pharmacist if you're not sure if something has NSAIDS or not.  I always take echinacae and extra zinc and vitamin C at the first sign of a cold.  I think it helps but it's hard to say for sure because how do I know how sick I'd get if I didn't take it?  Drinking lots of fluids and getting lots of rest is probably the best thing you can do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Vicki PNW
on 11/9/14 4:00 am

Colds have more than 500 viruses; therefore, there will NEVER be a cure for common colds!

I have not taken any cold meds for about 40 years; none of them works at all.  I drink more than plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest and let nature take its course.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active