Kidney stones

gigglestyx
on 11/6/14 4:29 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Alright yall I am in need of opinions. I went to the ER yesterday morning with a terrible pain in my left side lower back. It is Kidney stones. they told me to go home take pain medicine and stay hydrated. I have been on the pain medicine now for about 30 hours, and have had maybe a glass of water, I keep falling asleep. should I go back to ER and get IV?

gigglestyx
on 11/6/14 4:30 am
RNY on 08/25/14

oh yeah I had my bypass 8/25/14 and am down 50lbs :)

Valerie G.
on 11/6/14 5:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Call the doc and ask about the IV.  In the meantime, your body is telling you that you need more fluids.  Dehydration and the wrong calcium are big contributors to kidney stones with wls patients.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lemise
on 11/6/14 10:13 am

Hi, I was wondering what you mean by the wrong calcium?  Thanks

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/6/14 11:24 am - OH

Calcium carbonate contributes to kidney stones whereas calcium citrate, which is what all RNYers should be taking anyway since we don't absorb the calcium carbonate, doesn't. 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/6/14 8:16 am - OH

It is unlikely that you have dehydrated yourself fn just over 24 hours, but you do need to significantly increase your fluid intake in order to keep new stones from forming or the ones you already have getting larger.  If they get too large to pass, they have to put you under and blast them with ultrasound or go in through the urethra and remove them.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but getting an IV will only help your general hydration level. It won't help with the kidney stones the same way that drinking the water will.

As soon as you wake up, drink something and continue drinking as much as you can until you fall asleep again. A heating pad or soaking in a hot tub can help with the pain. It won't take it away, of course, but it might help enough that you can reduce the narcotics so you are awake more (and therefore able to drink more).

I hope you feel better soon. I have been fighting a new stone myself, so I can sympathize.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Queen_Tatiana
on 11/6/14 12:21 pm

I encourage you to go back to the ER.  I had kidney stones after WLS and ended up with Sepsis and in a coma for 10 days--airlifted to a trauma center and no memory of any of it.  I am scared to death of getting another stone and do what I can, eating wise, to keep them away. 

Mari     

WLS 12/27/04 260lbs; CW 136lbs; 5'6

Most Active