I need help to restart after triplets

Michele2009
on 11/4/14 1:12 pm - Northern CA
VSG on 07/02/09 with

Hi guys.  It's been a long time.  I had VSG in 2009 and lost 100 pounds.  About 12 months into my weight loss journey, I got pregnant, with triplets.  Yep, I said triplets.  I learned to eat around my sleeve in order to feed them, consuming 3,000 calories and 200 grams of protein per day.  When I gave birth, I actually weighed less than when I got pregnant.  When the kids were born, I experienced crushing postpartum depression and anxiety.  My sleep patterns were chaotic due to being constantly vigilant about the babies.  Eight months ago, my doctor prescribed several medications to try to help me through my depression.  I gained 45 pounds while taking these meds.  I've now weaned off all the meds and want to start the journey back to health.  Honestly, I'm scared to death that I will fail and be stuck in the misery that being obese represents to me.  How should I begin?  

Thank you for your support and thoughtfulness.

NYMom222
on 11/4/14 3:25 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

First of all congratulations on your babies. I hope you have a lot of help. Be kind to yourself that is a miracle that happened in your body. I too went through a post partum depression many years ago after the birth of my son and subsequent weight gain from the meds. I am glad to hear you are feeling well enough to come off of them. I know for me it was important to find the joy in  each day. When your kids are little it's hard... but they are beautiful miracles at the same time. Your sleeve is still there, go back to what you did in the beginning... Protein first, veggies second, and fruit and starch only if you have room. Weigh and measure for awhile to get back on track.  60-80g protein and 64oz liquid. Take your vitamins. Move your body. (Which I am sure you do with 3 little ones). Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

zoomom07
on 11/5/14 9:18 am

I'm a surgery newbie but a veteran triplet mom. My three will be turning 14 in a few weeks. Those first years and really take a toll. Your mental and physical health really take a beating. In addition to the depression and anxiety you talk about, I also feel that there is PTSD from going through a scary high risk pregnancy and then the preemie /NICU roller coaster. And I swear it took years (and I admit an ambien prescription) for my sleep patterns to return to normal. 

You've survived the toughest years. Back then, I called a successful day one in which I kept everyone out of the emergency room. I can honestly tell you it gets easier. The challenges always change (science fair projects times three anyone?) but nothing anywhere close to the mental and physical exhaustion of those first three years.

I know it sounds trite to tell you to take time for yourself, but it's so important. Though I've struggled with my weight for my whole life, it really got out of control after the birth of my kids. Who knows, maybe if I had taken better care of myself, I wouldn't have needed surgery. Instead of cooking something healthy for myself, I'd just eat the leftover Mac and cheese or chicken nuggets off the kids' plates and snacked on their goldfish crackers and teddy Graham's. If I were to start over, I wouldn't have had that junk in the house in the first place. The kids didn't need it and God knows I didn't. 

You are a super strong woman to have carried and raised these children. Now don't beat youself up over the weight. Coming out of this difficult time, know that the best thing you can do for your kids is to give them a happy, healthy mother. It's okay to let them watch one more tv show so you can get some excercise or make a healthy meal. You've got this! Best of luck.

Most Active