Anyone gone from lap band to gastric sleeve? Get insurance to pay for it?

kaniky
on 9/3/14 2:27 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I had lap band surgery January 2008 and lost over 100 pounds in the first year and a half. I got an over-fill that had me sick all the time. The doctor removed part of my fill and I started putting weight back on. We never found that “sweet” spot again. I’ve gained almost all of my weight back. Now I’m weighing the option of going from the lap band to gastric sleeve.

I’d love anyone’s opinions and experiences with this. Also, did you get your insurance to pay for the revision? Just this year I have been diagnosed with diabetes II, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Heart disease runs so high in my family. I’m only 47 and feel like I am truly limiting my time I have to spend with my husband and kids.

Thanks!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

kagrady2005
on 9/3/14 5:34 am
VSG on 09/10/14

There is a girl here at my work that is getting ready to have a revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve and our insurance is paying for it! (She jokingly said she's waiting until after I have my sleeve done before she has hers!)

danixbanani
on 9/3/14 6:36 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Yes, I did and there are many of us revisions out there!  You might find more of us on the VSG board and you can always ask on the RNY board too to get more insight.

I did get my insurance to pay for it with a little help from my surgeon.  He deemed it "medically necessary" which IMO it was.  I couldn't eat any food without getting stuck/throwing up, I had GERD, lost 50lbs gained it all back and then some etc.  Just be aware of what your insurance covers and doesn't cover.  I was lucky that mine did cover the revision but a lot of insurance companies are adopting a "one weight loss surgery per lifetime" rule.  Good luck.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Most Active