Discipline and Motivation

glady
on 7/27/14 8:43 pm

Hello everyone.  I wanted to bring up a discussion on discipline and motivation. I have so much struggle with this and its impossible to change my life without it. I am use to living in the moment and giving into what ever I felt like doing which usually is eating and staying in my room. I use to think this was freedom but its not. As some one with depression and anxiety, giving in to my wims is like creating a prison. I think I am afraid of loosing this prison. Well I know that real freedom is doing what I KNOW I want for my life instead of what I FEEL I want at the moment. I KNOW I want my life to be more than my room, food, and work so I have to fight my current FEELINGS of going home and right to bed after work.

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

SkinnyScientist
on 7/27/14 11:44 pm

HI! I totally hear you. I am a "live in the moment by feelings" kind of person too.  My surgeon, at the pre-op counseling, suggested taht I take meditation classes. You know what...it has helped a lot with surgery related issues and LIFE IN GENERAL.

I took sahahja mediation classes weekly at a library. They are free (as opposed to transendental mediation).

What I learned was: a) how to distance myself from my emotions  b) how to be empathetic without emotionally going on a rollercoaster trip with the person having the problem c) how to concentrate on the small amount of food I have to eat, make it last 30 minutes and really taste it (i.e. a mediation in which I saveour my food..which helps with head hunger. I saveour the food and even take a pic of the meal BEFORE I EAT IT. That way if I struggle wiht head hungery, I look back and mentally "re-live" eating the food" d) forgiving myself for EVERYTHING that i have done wrong in the past and present, e) forgiving myself and f) realizing I can only control myself, my behavior, and my reactions to other peoples behavior. For example, My mom made a total jerk of herself recently to my future-MIL. Previously, I would have seen this as a reflection on me and my upbringing. But, I realize my mom is her own person with her own issues and what she chooses to do I have no control/influence in. She is judged on her own merit as I am judged on mine.

Another thing I remind myself of: I did not have my stomach chopped off and my intestines re-routed to be able to continue to eat cheese and cookies.  Sounds extreme and harsh?  Well it is, and it snaps me right back to reality.

Good luck

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

glady
on 7/28/14 2:52 am

Its wonderful that meditation has helped you so much. I have tried it on several occasions but haven't stuck to it even though I know how good it is.

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

Cathy W.
on 7/28/14 4:15 am

You had wonderful take-aways from the class.  Those take-aways will be extremely helpful to you. 

Thanks for sharing about the class and what you got from it.  *LIKE*

Cathy W.
on 7/28/14 4:27 am

For me what you're describing is being impulsive.  I may see a commercial, drive by a fave restaurant, etc. and think that I want to eat that whatever-it-is.  I've learned to give myself a moment of pause to think ahead to how I'll feel AFTER that impulsive decision.  I'll tell myself "If I eat that Krispy Kreme donut, I'll feel sick and regret eating it.  That regret lasts way longer than it took for those couple of minutes it took to eat it."  I'll distract myself with something and before long, I'm so glad that I didn't give in to that impulse.  

I had to learn to do this because it didn't come natural to me.  Like you, I used to think that eating whatever I wanted was freedom but it sooooo isn't.  In order to have true freedom, you need to switch your mindset to what freedom and prison are. 

Plan to do something fun after work.  Make plans so you don't go home and to bed.  To make changes, you need to do one step and build on it by doing it again.  Before you know it, you've made the changes you want.

Best of luck to you!

Most Active