Question on Gallstones....

andy M.
on 7/22/14 3:38 pm - fairfax, VA
with

Hello everyone, how is everyone doing today?? I had a quick question if anyone could answer I would greatly appreciate it! I had RNY done 2 months ago and my worry right now is GALLSTONES. I have a friend who had RNY done 4 months ago and she just had gallstones and had to have her gall bladder removed. She said it was one of the worst pains she ever felt in her life, even worse than child birth. And I've been told that 1/3 of all RNY patients get them and have to have there gall bladder removed. So my question is, how long are you at risk for gall stones after surgery? I mean I'm sure RNY patients have a higher chance than normal people for the rest of there life, but how long after surgery do your chances of having them start to go down? LOL hopefully everyone understands what I'm trying to ask, hahaha (my doctor has me on anti gallstone medication and he prescribed it to me for 3 months). So I'm not sure if that means after 3 months my chances are good I won't have them or if he just prescribed me enough until i go back for my 3 month check up and he'll prescribe more....Any answers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Andy

MyLady Heidi
on 7/22/14 3:50 pm

When you are rapidly losing weight the risk is increased, they will probably prescribe more then three months worth, you are on actigall?

Gwen M.
on 7/22/14 9:10 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I've read a lot of studies that like gall stones to extremely low dietary fat. So I've made the effort to not go super low fat. But I also have the sleeve so it might be easier to keep fat in my diet. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 7/23/14 12:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Any time a person loses a lot of weight, or loses it extremely fast, there is a chance of gallbladder problems.  Over 10 years ago I lost about 80 lbs. on my own and developed horrible gallbladder issues that required removal of my gallbladder.  Yes, it is VERY painful when you're having an attack - feels like a heart attack!  

Here's a link to a good article on the topic:  http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/gallbladder/a/dietinggallst on_2.htm

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active