hunger nerve?

catijoefarm
on 7/19/14 8:18 am
with

When I mentioned my surgery to someone they said that they heard the "hunger nerve" is no longer in play when the surgery is done.  Does anyone know anything about this?

White Dove
on 7/19/14 8:38 am - Warren, OH

Some surgeons sever the Vagus nerve.  Others  do not.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catbren
on 7/20/14 9:36 am

I wish they had on my surgery, I am 6 mo post op and get hunger pains. 

Adoptionmama
on 7/19/14 1:15 pm

What kind of surgery are you having?  A VSG removes the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin (the hunger hormone).  Hoping it works.  Getting ready for my VSG on July 29th.  Good luck!

shoutjoy
on 7/19/14 7:59 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi,

Yes, it is the vagus nerve. I may have spelled that wrong.  Some professionals believe that this nerve is related to hunger.  Mine was cut and I have to say that my appetite is almost non existent.  I have to constantly remind myself to eat.  I don't know if this is true with everyone that has had it cut. 

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

White Dove
on 7/20/14 1:22 am - Warren, OH

My vagus nerve was also cut and my hunger vanished never to return.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/14 6:13 am - OH

My vagus nerve was NOT cut, but I still don't get hungry (I just feel my blood sugar drop suddenly if I don't eat frequently enough). It is a doible-edged sword, since sometimes I grab anything (almost) that is handy when I feel it drop.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Valerie G.
on 7/20/14 9:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The VSG and DS both remove the part of the stomach that produces grehlin.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Grim_Traveller
on 7/20/14 12:00 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's really complicated. The vagus nerve has several branches, and not all are cut. Some surgeries remove part of the stomach that produces some ghrelin, but not all, and there are other hormones that are involved in hunger as well. There is really no complete understanding of all the factors involved, and no guarantee what effect an individual surgery will produce.

The vast majority lose their hunger for six to nine months. For many, it comes back, while it doesn't for others.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active