Did you stick to the liquid/food guidelines post-op?

drmroth
on 7/5/14 3:40 am, edited 7/5/14 9:45 am

I'm 9 days post-op and doing fine with the thicker liquid foods in phase 1, is there any reason I can't move on to the the soft foods phase? I'm starting to think that all the guidelines we're given are not rules but are there as "guidelines". 

** I forgot to say that I had RNY

Nancy
on 7/5/14 4:27 am - Kasson, MN

I think it is important to take it slow.  Don't be in a rush to start shoving stuff in.

Bette B.
on 7/5/14 4:28 am

I kept to the pre-op and post-op diets to the letter. However, when I noticed that I was outrageously hunger in each stage, I called my doc to ask if I could advance. I went about 5 days per stage.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 7/5/14 5:02 am - UK

Doctors differ a lot in what they recommend. If you ask yours, s/he may say you can move ahead faster than your plan. But my own view is that if you trust a doctor enough to allow him to render you unconscious, stick knives into you and rearrange your insides, it isn't a big leap to trust him enough to believe that he knows the effect of food on your alimentary tract in the early post-op stages. Without trying to appear saintly, I can honestly say that it never occurred to me to deviate at all from my post-op plan - probably more through fear of the consequences than anything else. 

Call him and ask! Don't ask us!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

ankinray
on 7/5/14 8:32 am
On July 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM Pacific Time, Kate -True Brit wrote:

Doctors differ a lot in what they recommend. If you ask yours, s/he may say you can move ahead faster than your plan. But my own view is that if you trust a doctor enough to allow him to render you unconscious, stick knives into you and rearrange your insides, it isn't a big leap to trust him enough to believe that he knows the effect of food on your alimentary tract in the early post-op stages. Without trying to appear saintly, I can honestly say that it never occurred to me to deviate at all from my post-op plan - probably more through fear of the consequences than anything else. 

Call him and ask! Don't ask us!

good advice!

The Salty Hag
on 7/5/14 5:07 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I followed my plan and never deviated. I did not test my pouch's limit, test to see if I dumped, nor did I advance my food stages early. 

I honestly believe the most successful post-ops follow their food plan very, very closely. 

If you feel you must advance stages earlier than your plan states, please call your nut or dietician to talk to them about it. 

Going off plan, especially so early out, can wreak havoc later on. I know that if I had given myself permission to advance early, or test my pouch in any way, it would have snowballed out of control eventually and would have led to me to not losing as much as I have, or to stop losing all together. I'm 13 months out, and am still losing. My loss has slowed a bit, but it's still happening. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

drmroth
on 7/5/14 5:33 am, edited 7/5/14 5:33 am

Thank you ladies.... Sometimes I just need to be reminded to stay the course, that there is a reason. I will not deviate and will stick out the remainder of my thick liquid phase. I guess that's why this forum is so wonderful. I'm able to get strength through others like you just when I think I have no more. 

Nancy
on 7/5/14 8:43 am - Kasson, MN

You will do great...... 

poet_kelly
on 7/5/14 7:28 am - OH

I'd suggest calling your surgeon and asking if there is any reason you should stick to his guidelines.

But yes, I followed mine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TexasTerritory
on 7/5/14 7:54 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I followed my plan completely.

Most Active