Belly "flap"

Cheryl H.
on 7/6/14 4:46 am - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

I have this flap and I know there's a medical term for it but I just refer to it as my spare tire.  As I lose weight, it totally deflates but doesn't seem to tighten back up and I've resigned myself to the fact that a tummy tuck is in my future.  Until then, for those that have this issue, how do you deal with the rashes and other issues this extra flabby flap seems to present?  What about body armor/shapers/cinchers and girdles?  (ugh!  hot!)

Mary Gee
on 7/6/14 5:09 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Sometimes I use deodorant under my "apron" and other times powder.  Sometimes I even put a cloth or paper towel there.   I'm always washing the area and do my best to keep it dry.

My insurance will cover a Panniculectomy (which is not the same as a tummy tuck) and Breast Reduction - but I have to wait until 18 months after surgery, and I will need documented proof of attempts to cure the rash, etc. for six months prior to approval -- So I will be seeing a dermatologist when the time comes.  I saw one about a year ago and she gave me some medicated powder, but it didn't help any better than regular powder.  The rash burns and smells -- can't wait for the time to have the surgery!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 7/6/14 7:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Make sure that you document all of the issues with your extra skin.  - I.e., go to the doctor (the PCP or a dermatologist) and get these issues noted in your medical records.  Documentation will help when you seek insurance coverage.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Demeatra Reason
on 7/6/14 9:28 am - Garland, TX

I am having a panni on Tuesday.  The panni is not the same as a tummy tuck but looking at before and after pics looks well worth it. Insurance pays for the panni

Hislady
on 7/6/14 11:05 am - Vancouver, WA

It sounds funny but I use one of those small hand held battery operated fans to "blow dry" under the belly flap. That did more good than anything else plus I needed a Rx for ointment to clear up the original rash and haven't had a problem since.

MsBatt
on 7/6/14 3:09 pm

It's called a pannus.

Diaper-rash cream works wonders, and once you get it healed up, you can prevent it coming back by using spray-on deodorant. I prefer Degree Powder Fresh myself. I also wear panties I make myself, that have a sort of 'cup' for my pannus. (I call it my belly bra, LOL!) It keeps skin from touching skin, which seems to help a LOT.

Keeshaja
on 7/6/14 11:41 pm
DS on 10/21/14

That's a great idea 

I'm Still Loving, Still Praying and Still Dreaming....

56sunShine14
on 7/7/14 1:46 am

Did you ever think about selling these panties here on OH??

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

hollykim
on 7/8/14 9:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 7, 2014 at 8:46 AM Pacific Time, 56sunShine14 wrote:

Did you ever think about selling these panties here on OH??

that would be against the TOS of the sight.

MsBatt
on 7/9/14 4:28 am

By their very nature, they have to be custom-fitted. I make them from swimsuit Lycra, so they also cut down on the bounce and wobble.

Most Active