Does Anyone Else ITCH or is it just me???

andy M.
on 7/3/14 3:24 pm - fairfax, VA
with

I know this sounds very bizarre, but does anyone else itch??? I had gastric bypass on May 20, 2014. Since May 20th I've lost a total of 70 pounds and i'm super happy about my results so far. But ever since a week or so after surgery I been itching like crazy all over? Is this possibly from losing the weight or a side effect of surgery? lol i know this is a stupid question, but I would love to hear if someone else has this problem!

Andy

kathkeb
on 7/3/14 3:28 pm

I itched from my pain meds .... And was told that it is a common low level reaction ... And I took Benadryl with them.

At this stage, are you still on meds??

Kath

sBob
on 7/3/14 4:33 pm

I've only had localized itching along the scar every so often. I had open surgery. 

drmroth
on 7/3/14 8:15 pm

I was itching like crazy after the op. It was due to me having an allergy to one of the meds. 

70 pounds! That's amazing. 

White Dove
on 7/3/14 10:21 pm - Warren, OH

Everyday your skin throws off millions of dead skin cells.  This is normal.  With rapid weight loss the body cannot keep up with the shredding and the dry cells stay on top of the skin.  The body wants to get rid of them so it itches so that we will scratch them off.

At times I would want to almost tear my skin off with the itchiness.  I learned to use exfoliating to get down to the healthy skin.  Start with a dry bath brush and brush your body all over before your shower.  Then use soap with defoliants during your bath or shower.  A loofah or bath brush also helps. 

Another tool that helped me is a bath glove, that you put on your hand and scrub you body with.  After you bathe, do not use creams or lotions.  They will sit on the skin and grab the cells and turn it into a consistency like pie dough.  It will prolong things and keep you itchy.

If you do this for a few days and do not see rapid improvement, then contact your doctor.  It is always possible that you picked up a condition like scabies.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/4/14 3:31 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I didn't know this was a common problem.   I thought it was me.

White Dove, thank you so much for your recommendations.   I need to exfoliate! 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Dorine63
on 7/4/14 2:15 am - Alma, KS
VSG on 06/20/14

I have only had itching at my incision sites. (My procedure was done laproscopically) You might try a louffa to scratch off the old dead cells and see if that will help the itching. If it continues, you might need to contact your surgeon for their suggestions. 

Dorine Schley 

Goose Bump
on 7/4/14 10:57 am

I've only been itchy around my wound sites from the VSG. Drives me nuts! Try to scrub the dead skin off in the shower then use almond oil to calm down the itching.

VSG on 6/25/14  HW:360 GW:170  33yo 5'8''

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/4/14 2:30 pm

Food allergies, allergies to meds, allergies to artificial sweeteners, etc.

I developed allergies to dairy ( whey, cheese, yogurt, etc) and soy.   If I have more than 2-3 servings of splenda - o boy... Same with some other additives.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

samhain
on 7/4/14 3:03 pm

Do you still have your gallbladder? When I had gallstones, my skin itched like crazy!

Most Active