I feel like I'm having a gallbladder attack, but I had my Gallbladder removed!

Lisa_67
on 6/17/14 9:18 pm, edited 6/17/14 9:18 pm - Ravenna, OH

In October 2008 I had my Gallbladder removed , then on September 1, 2009 I had RNY... the last few days, I have had pain and discomfort in the pit of my stomach and it goes all the way through to my back. It usually happens after I eat or drink certain foods.... without my Gallbladder, what can be going on? At times it really hurts.

starting weight...307 Surgery weight..274 Onederland...198 (3/6/10)
 I lost 33 pounds before surgery. My new life has finally began

diane48
on 6/18/14 12:42 am
RNY on 05/07/13

You probably need to call your primary MD.  They could do some tests to rule things out.  Possibilities include ulcer, pancreatitis, stone in the bile duct among others. 

Lisa_67
on 6/18/14 12:51 am - Ravenna, OH

I'm going to give my doctor a call soon. I have been drinking a lot more coffee than usual lately as well, and I'm wondering if that may be part of my issue as well. I'm cutting back for a few days to see if it helps. If not, I'm calling my doctor. Thank you for your reply.... :)

Cathy W.
on 6/18/14 1:39 am

Take care.  Please let us know how you're doing.

Lisa_67
on 6/18/14 1:42 am - Ravenna, OH

Thank you Cathy

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/18/14 12:17 pm - OH

If cutting down on the coffee (and other acidic items) doesn't help it in a couple of days, or if it gets at all worse, get in to see the doctor ASAP, especially if the pain starts lasting longer, occurs when you have not had anything to eat or drink, or is accompanied by nausea.

If it is pancreatitis, getting a diagnosis (just a blood test) early is important.  If you let it get to the point where it hurts all the time, it hurts like hell (and the treatment is hospitalization with an IVC and nothing by mouth for at least a few days, sometimes more than a week).

Hope you feel better soon.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jastypes
on 6/19/14 1:41 am - Croydon, PA

Hope you found out what is going on.  I will tell you that once upon a time -- like in the 1980's -- I had my gallbladder out, and then had another attack.  My doctor told me that we can still form stones and they can get stuck for a bit in the bile duct.  It went away on its own for me.  Actually, now that I think about it, I actually had strep throat at the time, and the doc said severe stomach pain was related to that.  So weird.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Lolabug
on 6/19/14 2:29 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

Please see your doctor if this continues. I was in the same situation and it turned out to be an ulcer, which I found out about after it perforated and I needed emergency surgery.

heatkli
on 6/23/14 4:29 am

Hey Lisa! Sounds like it could be an ulcer. I'd get it checked. I've been struggling from reoccurring stomach pain (under my left rib) for over 2 yrs now. I've had a lot of test done with no sign of a problem. I'm in the process of getting my results back for a food sensitivity test, and I'm going to be tested for allergies. Hopefully, they will find out what your problem is very quickly!!

Pre-Op 16 lbs

Kathy S.
on 6/23/14 5:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Lisa_67

I too have experienced this and I am looking into this as it may be my issue and may be yours.

Apparently, 10-15% of people who've had their gallbladder removed, continue to have similar or same symptoms that led them to having surgery in the first place.

It's called Post Cholecystectomy Syndrome (PCS).

This is a must read: MedFriendly.com: Post-cholecystectomy syndrome

Good luck,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active