Inurance doesn't cover surgery, don't have the money to pay for it

Time2StartLiving1107
on 5/28/14 4:30 am - Avondale, AZ

So my insurace doesn't cover the surgery at all! And I'm a single mother who can't afford to pay for it out of pocket. I need this surgery really bad and don't know what to do. Has anyone ran into this problem and have  any advice for me?

ladygodiva1228
on 5/28/14 4:38 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Try to get a medical loan.  Care Credit is one many use to fund their surgery.  Or save, save, save. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Time2StartLiving1107
on 5/28/14 4:40 am - Avondale, AZ

Thank you so much, I will look into that and saving is something ive tried to do but failed :-(

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/28/14 6:03 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Can you change insurance?  

IMHO, if you cannot save then you cannot really afford to go into debt, either.  I'd hate to see you in a bad financial situation.

Have you researched surgery in Mexico?  A lot of folks here who are self-pay have gone that route at amazing cost savings!!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Time2StartLiving1107
on 5/28/14 6:06 am - Avondale, AZ

I've been working for the same company for over 5 years (united health care) and don't think I can change insurance companies. I haven't looked info Mexico either, thank you. I'll have to look. Do you know how i find out if i can get different insurance? I'm wondering if it cost more then being insured by your employer

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/14 9:33 am - OH

Most private/individual insurance plans don't cover weight loss surgery unless you pay significantly higher premiums, and it will almost certainly cost more than what you currently pay for your employer's plan, BUT...  Since you are a single mother, you might be eligible for a subsidy for an individual plan under Obamacare.  You would need to be very sure that the policy covered WLS BEFORE you signed up for it, though, because my understanding is that most of the truly affordable ones don't cover it.

It would be something you could look into, at least.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/28/14 10:34 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Our insurance person told us we more than welcome to look at the exchange but that by law if your employer offers insurance you are not elgible for any subsidies. That is what she told us at least.

Sarahlicious
on 5/29/14 2:32 am - Portsmouth, OH

Did you ask the insurance person why they chose to exclude the treatment of obesity from their coverage? United itself covers WLS, your employer has opted not to cover it.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/14 8:38 am - OH

That may well be true.  No one I know is eligible for subsidies because of income (nor would I), and I have employer coverage (this year, anyway), so I don't know much about the restrictions/eligibility on subsidies.  That restriction would make sense, though.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active