anesthetic nurse? cancelling surgery? HELP

NorthernHusky
on 5/26/14 1:27 am

Hi,

i have my date on the 16th of June, i am very excited. but because i live so far away, i will not be attending the meeting with the anesthtic nurse prior to my surgery date. This is very frighteneing. they said there is a chance that they can cancell my surgery!!! why would they do that?!?! i have already had surgery with anesthetic, so i should be good to go? omg... this has been such a long journey and im scared that it wont happen. someone please help and lend some advice!! what will cause cancellation?!?!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/26/14 1:30 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If they have appoinments and tests they require before surgery, they can and will cancel surgery if you don't attend. These things are for your benefit.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NorthernHusky
on 5/26/14 1:59 am

hi,

i dont think i explained it well enough. i live 1400 kms away from the center, and i was just there on wednesday. thye wanted me to come down again to do a blood test and to have the nurse explain the surgery... thats  all. i JUST got off the phone will the nurse who will asses me, and she got my chart from my previous surgery, she said there are no red flags, but things can change... so im hoping that all goes well. i have been eating healthy all year, and i am up to 150 minutes of excersise a week, and i dont smoke or drink! lol so i dont know why i am worried, i am and always will be a worry wart overthinker.

Tony K.
on 5/26/14 3:09 am - WA
RNY on 06/24/14

I wonder if they can do  the anesthesia consult over the phone?   I live very close to my surgeon in Seattle, but they offered to the the pre-op consult with the anesthesia nurse over the phone to save me a trip. 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/26/14 6:35 am

If some blood work is the sticking point (and they DO have to do some prior to surgery) then tell them you will get the blood drawn near you, and have the results sent to them. There are labs all over that do this (labcorp and Paclab are some of the most common labs around). 

Tell them what the issue is, and they will likely be able to work around things.

NorthernHusky
on 5/26/14 4:09 am

hi,

they discussed certain things with me over the phone, but they need to do some blood work the day of... im just worried...thats all. but i havnt had issues with anesthsia before.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/26/14 6:39 am

Mentioned above about getting blood work near you -I do it all the time- but forgot to mention it MAY cost you to have the draw if it's not in house for them, but it's still mb only a few hundred dollars, towards a surgery that would otherwise be many thousands.

Chances are, your insurance will still pick up the bill for bloodwork regardless of where you get it. I have crappy insurance, and they always cover bloodwork no matter where I get it done.

Rebecca S.
on 5/26/14 7:35 am
RNY on 05/23/14

I live about 80 miles from my doctors. The appointment with the anesthesiologist consisted of them asking me tons of questions about my health history and then they ordered a blood test I surely did not feel I needed. Everything came back fine. In my opinion, it was a waste of time and something that could have been done by telephone. I would not take a chance though. They are the professionals. They know why the appointments are most needed. We have to listen if we want the best outcome. Find a way to get there. You just never know.

Info Session Aug 15, 2013-Surgery Date May 23, 2014 (281 day process) for my Roux-en-Y gastric bypass experience

SuzinDallas
on 5/26/14 7:54 am, edited 5/26/14 7:55 am

You need to talk to your Dr's office and see what they can do for you. My Dr does a lot of surgery on people who come in from different states and often has the Pre-Op testing and appointments the day before the surgery so they can get what they need done before the surgery.

My Dr also has different requirements for his patients depending on medical need.  For example the day I did my Pre-Op appointment with him, his nurse on staff and nutritionist at his office, it was pretty much a Q&A on both sides about how I did on the pre-op diet and confirmation about a few things.  Then I pretty much followed a woman from his office to the hospital where we both were checked in for testing. Obviously we started talking and she was there to have her C-PAP machine checked, a chest x-ray and some blood work.  While I was there to just get registered and have blood work. During the registration process the nurse gave me some wipes and directions on how to use them.  They were an antibacterial wipes that help prep the skin for surgery.  While it was pretty much an honor system-there was certainly a smell that made it really clear as I had to wipe down the night before and the morning of my surgery. I'm not sure if my Dr would have canceled the surgery if I didn't go, or didn't use the wipes. But I'm sure it would have sent a message about being non-compliant about the surgery.

I think it's really important to go, so please call your Dr and talk to them about the distance and see what they can do over the phone, the day before and even the morning of your surgery.

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

Most Active