Skin removal surgery

aspanishdancer
on 5/20/14 12:19 pm - Covington, GA

Hello every one I'm getting skin removal surgery in a couple of weeks I'm still 325lbs has anyone weighted like 500 lost like two hundred and got skin removed chow was it was it hard to stand up when ur use to a Hugh stomach weighting u back down we're ur balance off like 

gtrdyfor50
on 5/21/14 12:55 am
RNY on 10/08/13
I am surprised that it is just skin removal. Will there be fat removed as well? No experience, just didn't realize that a Dr can remove only skin at that weight.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/21/14 3:35 am - OH

Yes, at that weight, it is definitely removal of a lot of fat as well as skin.  I completely understand that it is necessary surgery when a large apron of fat and skin interferes with mobility, but to call it "skin removal surgery" is disingenuous/misleading.

I had a panniculectomy -- which is what that surgery is -- but had it after losing all my weight.  My pannus was almost all just excess skin.  It hung down onto the top of my thighs, but it was only SIX pounds of skin and tissue removed.  So when people talk of "skin removal" when what they are really talking about is 40 or 50 pounds of fat and some skin, it annoys me.  

They do that on television on things like "My 600 Pound Life" all the time, and the people talk about that 50 pounds of fat and skin removed as part of the weight that they "lost".  They didn't lose it.  The surgeon cut it off.  That is not to minimize all the weight that they did put in the effort to lose, but that 50 pounds wasn't part of it.

I know this sounds harsh to some people, but a lot of people see it this way.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/21/14 2:45 am

It is probably a type of "apron= skin and fat removal" . when most of us call "skin removal" is typically skin with no fat".  Good luck. I hope if you get that it would help you be more mobile and lose more weight.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active