urgent assistance needed VSG.

happygurl429
on 5/7/14 12:03 pm - Belleville, MI
So i had my band revision to sleeve last friday. I am at the post op.diet where i can have protein shakes and the liquids. So i call my surgeons office this afternoon to ask if it's ok to have the broth from French onion soup...because i am sick of chicken broth. She says...As long as it's only liquid. So i get my strainer out and make sure any chunks are drained from the campbells french onion soup. I ate probably 1/2 cup and now I don't feel well. The broth was actually way too salty and quite gross. Do you think iay have done damage drinking this? I feel like my pouch is full and the soup is just sitting there. Please...help!

poet_kelly
on 5/7/14 12:14 pm - OH

I don't see how it would do any damage.  You probably just feel icky because you ate broth that was too salty and gross.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

frisco
on 5/7/14 2:01 pm, edited 5/7/14 6:05 pm

A half a cup is 4oz.

Next time try 3oz. over 20 minutes.

Sip slow and progressively slower as you go.

Hope this helps....

frisco

Edit: If it's to salty.... add water.

Edit2: Trinoc set me straight

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

trinoc
on 5/7/14 6:02 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Actually, half a cup is 4 oz.  :-)

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

frisco
on 5/7/14 6:04 pm

Thanks for the catch !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happygurl429
on 5/8/14 4:42 am - Belleville, MI
Thanks Frisco. I will give that a shot. I think the broth was just too salty/greasy for me. I will.stick.with my chicken broth next time!

MsBatt
on 5/7/14 11:35 pm

With a Sleeve, you do not have a pouch. You have a fully-functional stomach. If you had a pouch, liquids would run right through the always-open stoma, but with a stomach, your pylorus opens and closes, just like it did prior to surgery. Did you actually measure, or did you just eyeball the amount?

If it was too salty and gross, why did you continue to eat after the first sip? Never force yourself to eat something you don't like.

EmmyK
on 5/8/14 4:48 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm in the one week post op boat, and I will defend the last part.  In liquid land, there is a lot of unpleasantness, but you say to yourself, "Self, this sucks, but I have to drink this liquid..."  I can't stand almost anything I'm drinking right now. But I did draw the line at the Unjury Chicken Soup.  GAG. 

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Lemily
on 5/8/14 12:10 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I had difficulty with all campbell's soup given the salt content and how oily it tasted. It's only until tomorrow when you can start having cream soups - well at least i was able to. The key with VSG is to eat very very slowly. It does get better with time but you are still healing. Its more to get you in the motion of eating vs eating soup for nutritional content. I could not handle soups b/c i hated the way all broths tasted and therefore did better with sugar free jello, ice pops, or italian ice cups. When you do first start eating soups, etc, you should only be able to do an ounce every 10-20 minutes, and therefore it should take you an hour the first week or two to eat 3 ounces of soup.

Get into good habits early that if you start feeling full, stop and pu**** away. I was never one for EVER pushing my food away and always finishing everything on my plate. Now, when i serve dinner, i make everyone's plates at the counter, measure out my food. And if i start feeling full, i throw it away immediately b/c i know 1. im done and 2. another bite will make me throw up. In addition, it stops me from going for seconds when I know my stomach is saying now but my mind is saying yes!

Good luck to you!

happygurl429
on 5/8/14 4:39 am - Belleville, MI
Thank you so much for your helpful reply..i didn't know that it should take me that long to drink my liquids. I try to.sip slowly and I was forcing myself to.drink the soup because I thought I HAD to get the fluids in. I am sipping water throughout the day and also using the popsicles. I am sick of the protein shakes and they are the worst to getin. I feel like they are too thick. I've tried milk...half milk half water and jus****er with the protein mix. It's nearly a pudding and I'm only us in one scoop of powder. I feel like I'm full and then forcing myself to.drink it because my surgeons office said I MUST get the 60 grams of protein. Ugh. I am fine today..i think the soup was too greasy and salty. I won't make that mistake again.

Most Active