3 month follow up

glady
on 3/27/14 4:33 am

I just came back from my three month followup with Nut and doc. Blood work came back awesomely. Have been exercising by walking and going to one yoga class a week. I have no prob taking my vitamins and medications. I was proud because the office was surprised I was getting all my protein (average 80-100) and water. I lost 40 in 3 months which is a good pace. Haven't had any dumping or trouble some symptoms. I use to get nausea and fatigue but it resolved itself in last two weeks. I did get my period a week early and it was heavier then usual so I have follow up with pcp to increase my birth control. My hair is just fine so far.

I wanted to post because my friends and fam really don't want to listen to all the details but Im proud and wanted to tell people who would care. I think its also good to have a non horror story that scares off pre-ops. Chances are most of you will have a similar experience to mine and after a few months out you get use to your new diet to where it doesn't feel like a "diet". Im not a super motivated gung-ho person. Im an introverted homebody. I found a routine that works around that so I get my exercise in. So yeah I just wanted to pat myself on the back HeeHee

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

nannyb716
on 3/27/14 5:57 am

great job and you should be proud of yourself.    I am two months post op and I hear what your saying, you really want to talk to someone - but you don't want to brag about your success!   I too, have had it pretty good, I'm trying different foods now and I have gotten sick a few times, only because I couldn't take the discomfort and I had to bring it up, with immediate relief.   I'm new to this posting, actually my first time.   I see that people have a weight chart - how do you create that?

Thanks, Nancy

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/28/14 3:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you click on "my OH" in the top corner of the site and go to "health tracker," you can log your weight. Then click on "tickers and widgets" to make the little picture for your sig line :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/14 6:14 am
RNY on 04/10/14

Thank you for posting!  My surgery is in 2 weeks and I'm starting to get nervous!  Your post really makes me feel better and hopeful for the future!!

Ready4Life14
on 3/27/14 7:12 am

I would LOOOOVEEE to hear about every detail of your experience.  I am pretty much alone in my process.  I'm still pre-op and anxiously awaiting to complete the PRE stuff so I can get a surgery date.  My husband knows about my decision to have WLS but he is not supportive of it.  He does not think it's necessary and is very pessimistic about the whole thing.  He told my (adult) daughter because he wanted someone else to help talk me out of it.  I'm still going through with it.  I don't want to tell anyone else in my family or any friends because I don't want the criticism and negative thoughts.  So, I stay on these forums and anxiously reading about the experiences of others.  So. . .needless to say. . .I would LOVE to read of all the details of your experience.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!

glady
on 3/27/14 7:29 am

Alot of people don't comprehend how difficult it iy to loose weight once you've been obese for a long time. This surgery isn't that easy way out but it at least makes it possible to loose weight successfully and maintain it if you stay faithful to the new healthier lifestyle. It really sucks that your family is so opposed to your decision. You are incredibly strong person to do what you know is right for you against what loved one think is right. If you stay faithful and realistic with your post op diet and exercise then it will work out great and everyone who doubted your decision will eat their words

Ready4Life14
on 3/27/14 7:39 am

Thank you so much for your kind words.  It also helps if you have someone to share the 'ins and outs' of the experience.  Like. . .the Patient Advocate at the surgery center called to tell me she verified my insurance and found that my insurance does not require any pre-op classifications.  That was huge news for me. . especially since i've heard of so many others who's insurance company DOES require pre-op classifications. . like diet, some require that you be in a pre-op seminar for 6 months before they'll even consider approving the surgery.  UGH!!  But when I got the good news. . .I celebrated within myself.  I had no one to tell how excited I was to get past that little part.  I know there are huge steps to go through, but so glad to get through that one.

Again, thanks for the kind words.  Be sure to keep posting your experiences. . . the highs as well as the lows.

glady
on 3/27/14 7:41 am

I went to an indian restaurant last week with my bro. We eat out once a month and its a tradition I want to keep. This is the first time eating out and it went well. The food all came in serving dishes so we could get our own portion size. My brother is aware of my eating restrictions so he didn't comment on the little pile of food on the huge dinner plate. He also was good about not ordering appetizers or desert so I wouldn't sit there while he ate bread and ice cream. I was jealous of his margarita! I ate slowly and had enough to taste the food but not be full and thankfully nothing made me sick. It was lovely and it made me feel like I will have a normal life after this and I can still enjoy going out and doing normal stuff. 

Tracy D.
on 3/27/14 11:16 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm patting you on the back too!  40 lbs. in 3 months is just awesome!  And I'm glad to hear you've found a way to get your exercise in.  Keep up the great work 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cunning_Pam
on 3/27/14 11:52 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Good for you! You should absolutely pat yourself on the back, it sounds like you're doing great. Most importantly you seem to have really internalized the fact that the surgery helps you make lifestyle changes, it's not a magic quick fix.

Congratulations, and thank you for posting. It's important that people see others who have great results from surgery, and who are good role models for their post WLS life.

Yay for you!  

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active